Firestick is a full-pack digital gadget that offers both free and paid channels. This piece of streaming device is designed to work with standard cable TV through the HDMI port. Once integrated with the TV, the user can stream live media from thousands of streaming services.
However, please note that the default services such as Netflix or Amazon Prime Videos charge a subscription fee. Some of the channels also have geographical restrictions, thus denying the user privilege to access all contents. To bypass the restriction, tech developers have designed paid and free VPN for Netflix and other services. Users can also get a free VPN for Firestick devices to ensure that all their streaming activities are secure.
VPN software masks and hides the IP address from the public or surveillance eye. You can stream content from various online channels without exposure to your original IP. It also prevents data from leaking to the wrong hands. Your online activities are constantly being monitored by multiple entities that can affect your streaming. The ISP is capable of slowing your data and bandwidth allocation, causing buffering during streams.
Since the majority of services are copyrighted, the government tracks down apps or users interfering with the content where they send warnings or close down the apps without explanations. VPN is an effective solution for online streamers, especially Amazon Fire TV or Firestick users.
How to Install a Free VPN Service on your Amazon Fire TV or Firestick Device
Before the VPN installation process, users should check the Firestick type they are using. Not all Firestick device models are compatible with VPN software. However, there are various ways to install VPN, including sideloading the app or directly installing it from the device app store.
List of VPN-Compatible Firesticks
- 2nd generation Fire TV stick
- 2nd generation Fire TV cube
- 1st generation Fire TV cube
- 3rd generation pendant design Fire TV
- Fire TV Stick 4K.
The above Firestick versions are compatible with the majority of VPN services such as CyberGhost, Express VPN, Nord VPN, Perfect Privacy, Hotspot Shield, and more. The installation process is quite the same for all VPNs. There are three primary installation channels available for you; using the Amazon app store, Android’s Google Play Store, or the router method.
Install VPN App through Amazon App Store
- Open the Firestick homepage menu and click on the search button.
- Enter the name of the VPN service you prefer.
- Download the VPN app and install it on your device.
- Login to your account and connect to enjoy the services.
Sideload a VPN App to Firestick
- Proceed to the settings page and click My Fire TV.
- Enable the Apps from Unknown Sources and ADB Debugging options.
- Now, go to the Amazon app store on your Firestick.
- Then, search and install an app called Downloader.
- Launch the app and key in the APK URL from your VPN service on the space provided and click “Go.”
- Once the download process is done, click the “Install” button.
- Again sign in to your device to activate the app.
- Now turn on the VPN and connect it to your preferred servers.
How to Update your Sideloaded VPN App on Firestick
Sideloaded Google Play Store apps and other third-party apps don’t offer automatic updates. The user needs to update the app manually. Here is how to do it:
- Go to the Firestick homepage menu and click the setting tab.
- Next, click the application option followed by the manage installed apps button.
- Now click on the VPN app and select “Force Stop”
- The page will request whether you want to install or update the existing app.
- Click the “YES” button to start the update process.
Once you have the VPN app in place, you are free to enjoy online content without any limitations. However, free VPN versions might come with shortcomings which you can boost by upgrading to a premium plan.