Adding a phone number as an alias to a Microsoft account on Windows 11 has become a common practice for many users. This not only simplifies the login process but also enhances the security of the account.
However, some users have reported encountering errors on Windows 11 during this seemingly straightforward task, emphasizing the need for clear solutions.
Understanding the ‘This Alias Cannot be Added to your Account’ Error on Windows 11
An alias error pops up when there’s a snag in adding an extra piece of contact information to your Microsoft account. This could be a phone number or an alternative email address that you’re trying to set up as a plan B for accessing your account.
The error usually means the system’s either confused by a duplicate number or email you’ve already used somewhere else, or it’s just having a temporary glitch.
Aliases in a Microsoft account are like having a spare key to your house. They give you another way to prove who you are, just in case you get locked out or need to confirm your identity.
It’s a security boost because it means there’s more than one way to verify it’s really you trying to get into your account.
Fixing Windows 11 Error ‘This Alias Cannot be Added to your Account’
Check Your Alias Quota on Microsoft
Your Microsoft account has room for up to ten aliases, which are alternate email addresses or phone numbers you can use to sign in.
- To see if you’ve hit the limit, head over to the account settings on the Microsoft website and peek at the ‘Your info’ section.
- If you’re at ten and need to make space, you can wave goodbye to any aliases you no longer use right there on the same page.
- If you find an old alias collecting dust, removing it is straightforward.
- Just select the alias you want to remove and confirm your choice.
- This frees up a slot for a new alias, keeping your account flexible and up to date with your current information.
Verify Account and Internet Connection
Ensuring you have a stable internet connection is a crucial step before you tinker with any account settings. A shaky connection can interrupt the process, leading to errors when trying to add an alias.
If everything’s running smoothly with your internet, but you’re still hitting a wall, try signing out of your Microsoft account.
Signing back into your account can sometimes work wonders. It’s like giving your account a quick refresh, which can clear out any temporary issues that were causing trouble. If you’ve been signed in for a long stretch, this simple step can make all the difference.
Use an Alternate Alias Form on Microsoft
Sometimes, a phone number might not cooperate when you’re trying to add it as an alias. In such cases, opting for an email alias can be a smooth move. It’s just another type of identifier for your account, much like a backup email address.
Here’s how you can add an email alias to your Microsoft account:
- Sign in to your Microsoft account and head to the ‘Your info’ page.
- Look for the option to ‘Add an alias’ and select it.
- Choose ‘Create a new email address and add it as an alias’, or you can ‘Add an existing email address as an alias’.
- Follow the prompts to create or add your new alias.
- Once you’ve added the new email, Microsoft will send a verification email to that address.
- Open the verification email and click the link provided to confirm it’s yours.
With these steps, you’ll have a new way to sign in to your account, ensuring you’re never locked out.
Remove Phone Number from Other Microsoft Accounts
If your phone number is tied to another Microsoft account, it might be the source of the conflict. It’s like trying to use the same key for different locks – it just doesn’t work. To resolve this, you’ll need to remove the phone number from the account where it’s currently in use.
- Head over to the Microsoft account where the phone number is linked.
- Once you’re logged in, navigate to the ‘Your info’ section.
- Here, you’ll find the phone number under the account aliases.
- Select the phone number you wish to remove and look for the option to ‘Remove’ or ‘Unlink’.
- Confirm your choice, and the phone number will be disassociated from that account.
- This action should clear the way for you to add the phone number as an alias to your desired account without any further issues.
Restart Your Windows 11 Device
Sometimes the simplest solution is to restart your PC. This can clear out any minor software glitches that are not immediately obvious. It’s a bit like turning the lights off and on again to reset the system.
After your computer boots up again, try adding your phone number as an alias once more. This fresh start can often smooth out the process and might just be the trick you needed. If the problem was a temporary software hiccup, a restart is often all it takes to get things back on track.
Contact Microsoft Customer Support
If you’ve tried everything and your phone number still won’t add up as an alias, it might be time to seek expert help from Microsoft Support. They have the tools and access to troubleshoot deeper issues that you might not be able to resolve on your own.
You can get in touch with them via the Microsoft website, where options to chat with a support agent or schedule a call are available.
Have your account details ready before you make contact. This information will assist the support team in quickly identifying and addressing your specific issue. They’re equipped to handle a variety of problems, so the clearer you can be about what’s going wrong, the better they can assist you.
Prevent Future Alias Issues on Windows 11 PC
Creating unique aliases for each of your accounts can save you a lot of trouble down the line. It’s a straightforward way to keep things organized and avoid mix-ups. Think of it as having a specific label for each container in your pantry; it just makes finding what you need easier.
It’s also a good practice to periodically review the aliases associated with your account. This doesn’t have to be a big event on your calendar, just a quick check-in every now and then to ensure everything is in order. Keeping your account aliases tidy can help prevent issues from cropping up unexpectedly.
Encountering errors when adding a phone number to your Microsoft account on Windows 11 is not uncommon. It’s part and parcel of the digital experience we all navigate. However, as you’ve seen, there are numerous strategies and steps available to address and resolve these issues effectively.