Are you trying to install a game or an app that you bought from the Microsoft Store and end up getting an error instead? It is indeed frustrating after all the excitement you feel upon deciding to purchase it. But, as it happens also to many people, there are reasons why issues like this occur.
You may see the error message:
“Where do you want to install? It looks like you don’t have any applicable device(s) linked to your Microsoft account. To install, sign in on a device with your Microsoft account.”
The install button is greyed out, and your only option is to cancel. It is understandable enough, but it may seem unclear when you know that you have a device where to install the app or game you just purchased on your PC. For some users, this issue pops up when there is no compatible Xbox console associated with their Microsoft account. It shouldn’t be a problem because most games are also compatible with Windows PC.
Microsoft Store may be having some server issues that may have caused the error message to appear on your screen. It may be having a hard time connecting and reconciling data with your Microsoft account. There are other possible reasons why you encounter the error, but there are also ways to fix it.
DON’T MISS: Exclusive deals on Xbox consoles at Amazon!
How to Troubleshoot & Fix “You don’t have any applicable devices linked to your Microsoft account” Problem on PC
Below are several solutions that you can try to troubleshoot and resolve the “Don’t have any applicable devices linked to your Microsoft account” issue with the Microsoft Store on Windows 10 PC. You can try to follow each method one at a time and check if it allows you to install the app or game you purchased.
Method #1 – Double Check your Device Limit
Microsoft only allows up to 10 devices. You need to remove the excess device to make the purchase.
- Go to account.microsoft.com/devices on your browser.
- Sign in to your account.
- Navigate to Manage device limits.
- Under Apps and games, check the Device limit.
- If you have more than 10 devices, remove the excess ones.
- Click Show details or Manage under the device you want to delete.
- Select More actions.
- Click Remove.
Method #2 – Verify the Microsoft Account you Use
- Launch the Settings menu of your computer.
- Go to Accounts.
- Navigate to the left panel.
- Select Email & app accounts.
- Check if you are logged in using your Microsoft Account. If not, add your Microsoft Account.
- Click Add a Microsoft account.
- Enter your local account credentials.
- Go to Settings.
- Select Your Info section.
- Click Sign in with a Microsoft account.
- Sign in to your Microsoft Account.
Method #3 – Sign Out and Sign Back In on Microsoft Store
- Open the Microsoft Store app.
- In the upper right corner, click your profile icon.
- Select your Microsoft account.
- Click Sign out.
- Now, click the profile icon.
- Select Sign In.
- Enter your Microsoft account credentials.
Method #4 Reset the Microsoft Store App
- Open the Settings menu.
- Go to Apps.
- Look for Microsoft Store and click to expand it.
- Select Advanced options.
- Click the Reset button.
- Click Reset again.
- Restart your computer after the process.
Method #5 – Install Available Windows Update
A number of users claimed that by simply installing the latest updates on Windows 10 computer the error simply went away.
- Go to the Settings menu.
- Select Update & Security.
- Click Check for Updates.
- Restart your computer after installing the updates.
Method #6 – Remove Microsoft Store Database Files
- On your computer, navigate to the C drive.
- Select Windows.
- Go to SoftwareDistribution.
- Select DataStore.
- Click DataStore.edb.
- Delete DataStore.edb.
- Restart your computer.
Method #7 – Register your Microsoft Store App Again
- Launch the Command Prompt.
- Enter the following command to re-register your Microsoft Store app:
- powershell -ExecutionPolicy Unrestricted Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register $Env:SystemRootWinStoreAppxManifest.XML
Which of the methods above helped you fix the Microsoft account error when installing games from the Microsoft Store? You can let us know what works by writing to us in the comment section below.