Watching videos is one of the most entertaining activities people do. But, not all video files are easily watched on a computer, especially when you do not have the right player or codec for it.
Take MOV video files for instance. Since it is an Apple Quicktime container for MPEG 4 format, it will take some effort to play it on Windows. Most users cannot play MOV files in their Windows 10 PC because they do not have the right player or doesn’t have the needed codecs installed.
What is a MOV Video File?
MOV file is a default video format for iPhones, iPads, or Mac. When a video is created on an iOS or macOS device, it is often saved with the .mov extension.
Still, MOV files are also compatible with Windows although it is an unsupported format natively. You need to use the right player for it. As MPEG 4 container, MOV files can be used to save both audio and video.
Ways on How you can Play MOV Videos in Windows 10
If you come across a MOV file in your Windows 10 computer, there are different ways on how you can play it. Simply opening the file will not allow you to play the video. You will need to download and install video players.
Method #1 – Install QuickTime Player
QuickTime Player is the default video player for MOV files. While it is often used in macOS, you can also download and install the QuickTime video player on your Windows 10 PC.
- Install QuickTime for Windows 10.
- To play your MOV video using QuickTime, go to your MOV file.
- Right-click on the name and click Open with.
- Select QuickTime Player.
- QuickTime Player will open your video.
Method #2 – Using Windows Media Player
Another way is to use Microsoft’s built-in Windows Media Player. It is the default player for Windows and fortunately, it also supports MOV files now. However, you will need to make sure that your Windows Media Player is currently at the 12.0 or higher version. Only these higher versions can support and play MOV files.
- To check the current version, open your Windows Media Player.
- Right-click the top bar, or you can press the Alt key.
- Select Help and click About Windows Media Player.
- Now, check the current version. If it falls below 12.0, you will need to install the latest version first before playing the video file.
- To play the video file, right-click on your video file and select Open with.
- Choose Windows Media Player and it will play your video.
Method #3 – Play with VLC Media Player
- If you don’t have the VLC media player, download and install it on your computer.
- Open your VLC media player and click Media from the top bar.
- Select Open File and choose your MOV file.
If the above video players do not work, you can try to convert your MOV file to other file formats using a reliable video converter tool. Which video player above works best for you? Tell us in the comments below.STILL HAVING ISSUES? Try this tool to troubleshoot Windows errors and safely optimize system performance automatically