Being in Discord gives you platform for various conversations and connections online. Whether you are a gamer or wanting to share your love for other things, Discord servers are where you can freely talk to like-minded people. With several Discord servers that you may be joining and not just for gaming, having different nicknames keeps your identity incognito.
Will changing my nickname changes my account name?
No, changing your nickname will not change your username. No matter how many times you want to change your nickname, your account username retains. So, if people will look for you, or if you are looking for a person on Discord, they can search your username.
So, how do you change your nickname on Discord?
Change Your Username Via the Discord App
- First, login to your Discord app. Next to your username, you will see a white cog wheel icon. Click on the icon to open the User Settings page.
- On the right corner, click the Edit page button.
- Now, you can edit your account information. Under the username, delete your old name and type in your preferred name. You can also change your email address or password.
- Once you are done, click Save. You will be prompted to type in your password to verify your identity.
Change Your Nickname Via the Discord Servers.
Another way is to go to each server and change your nickname. Sounds a lot of effort but it will allow you to personalize your nickname on every server.
- Go to your selected Discord server.
- On the upper right corner of the sidebar, click on the drop down menu icon.
- Scroll the menu options and look for Change Nickname.
- Click on the option and type in the box your preferred nickname.
- Click Save and exit.
Managing Your Own Servers
If you own a server in Discord, you have better privileges when it comes to changing nicknames. Under the General Permissions, you have the option to Change Nickname or Manage Nicknames. Change Nickname gives members of your server to change their own nicknames. When you enable Manager Nicknames, you allow members to change other member’s nicknames.
To manage these permissions, access you servers settings and go to General Permissions. Check or uncheck the Change Nickname or Manager Nicknames to restrict or give members permissions.
How to Change Other Member’s Nicknames
- Go to the Server Settings.
- Click the Members tab.
- On the right side, you will see the names of the members in the server. Click on the name you want to change.
- Click the Nickname option and type the new name.
- Click Done to save and it will change the member’s nickname.
Let the Fun Begin!
Personalizing your name will add more excitement and better management to all your Discord groups. Create the most unique nickname and let the fun begin! How was your Discord experience?