Whether you are a seasoned online gamer or a complete newbie, you surely know how important Discord is for communication. But this tool isn’t something that you can use anytime and whenever you want to. Different verification levels are put in place before someone can use Discord, and the most stringent one is phone verification.
Unfortunately, many users have reported a common problem every time they go through the mobile phone verification process. It involves a prompt telling them that their phone number is already used and and tied to an existing Discord account when setting up a new Two-Factor Authentication (2FA) or 2-Step Verification method.
This error message will be sent to your number through SMS:
“An existing Discord account is already using this number. Please remove it before it can be used with a new account.”
How to Fix An Existing Discord Account is Already Using this Phone Number Verification Issue
How do you fix this issue when creating and verifying a new account or setting up 2FA on Discord through a phone number? Here are a few things you can try to do to troubleshoot and fix the Discord account verification error.
Force Discord to Create a New Account
- Open a browser on your computer and go to the official Discord website.
- On the sign-in page, click the button Forgot Password under the login boxes. Input your phone number and wait for the verification number.
- You will receive the message that reads “Ohh it seems like there is a problem” if your number isn’t registered it. But if it was a mistake, you will receive the message that reads “An Existing Discord Account Is Already Using This Number.”
- Discord will then ask you to use the number to create a new account and verify it using a new email address. Remove your phone number from your account after you create it.
- Use the phone number on your original account. This time, there should no longer be any issues.
Regain Access to the Existing Account if There are Any
Yes, some people do forget that they already created an account before but lost access to it. To fix the error, all you have to do is regain access to this existing account and remove your phone number from it.
- Launch the Discord website or app on your PC.
- Proceed to the login page.
- Input your phone number in the Username field.
- Click on the Forgot Password button and wait for Discord’s message on your phone.
- Click the link on the message. This will redirect you to a page for resetting your password. Input the new password and save this for future reference.
- Use your phone number and new password to log in to your account.
- Update and personalize the account, or you can also disable it and reopen a new one.
Use a QR Code
- Open your Discord account on the PC.
- Use your phone app to scan the login QR code to access your account. Discord will show green pop-up suggestions for adding a phone number to the account.
- Add your phone number and wait for the verification code.
- Enter the code to verify the account with your phone number.
Try a Different Phone Number
If none of the two options above don’t fix the issue, one more thing you can do is use a different number for account verification. Since you just need this verification to gain access to a Discord server, it shouldn’t be a big deal to use another number for verifying your account. To enjoy peace of mind, you can use the number of a family member or friend to verify your Discord account.
You shouldn’t let the Discord error compromise your gaming experience. Simply follow the steps above and enjoy your favorite games without any concerns.