After upgrading to Windows 10 Fall Creators (v1709) or Creators Update (v1703), a lot of users are faced with the problem “Microsoft Edge can’t connect securely to this page”. A “Can’t connect securely to this page” error message will appear on the screen, which prevents you from opening a website.
Other than Microsoft Edge, the error also occurs in other browsers including Google Chrome, Firefox and Internet Explorer. This may be caused by outdated or unprotected Transport Layer Security (TLS) settings, network driver problems, or other network settings issues.
Complete Error Message:
Possible Reasons for this Error:
A browser relies on TLS handshakes between the browser and the server when it tries to connect to an HTTPS website. Unlike the most common HTTP, HTTPS (Secure Hypertext Transfer Protocol) is a more secure communication method between a web server and a browser because all data circulating on it is encrypted and cannot be read by anyone else. Here are some of the reasons for this Microsoft Edge error.
- The site uses old TLS encryption settings (e.g. 1.0 or 1.1) and you have forced the settings to accept only TLS 1.2 or higher.
- The site only uses TLS 1.2, but you disabled TLS 1.2 in your Internet Options settings, or: You have an old operating system that does not support TLS 1.2.
- The page is in HTTPS, but it also contains HTTP elements (e.g. external images).
- You have disabled the use of weak MD5 and 3DES encryption algorithms.
How to Fix Can’t Connect Securely to this Page on Microsoft Edge
Here are some troubleshooting methods and fixes that worked for most Edge users:
Method 1 – Reset Internet Explorer Settings
Clearing the cache and cookies in Microsoft Edge and restoring Internet Explorer settings is one of the first troubleshooting methods that you must try.
To Clear Cache and Cookies in Microsoft Edge:
- Open Microsoft Edge.
- Click on the three horizontal dots in the top right corner of the window.
- Click Settings.
- In the Clear browsing data section, click Choose what to clear.
- Verify that your browsing history, cookies and saved website data, and cached files and data have been verified, and then click Clear.
To Reset Internet Explorer Settings:
- Open Run by clicking Windows + R.
- In the Run field, type inetcpl.cpl, and then click OK.
- In the Internet Properties section, click the Advanced button.
- In the Reset Internet Explorer section, click Reset.
- Click Reset.
- Close the window and restart your computer.
Method 2 – Enable Mixed Content in Microsoft Edge
Edge blocks multiple pages if mixed content is not enabled. Therefore, activating mixed content surely helps in eliminating the “Can’t connect securely to this page” error. To do this, follow these steps:
- Open the Internet Properties window by typing “Internet Options” in Cortana and selecting Internet Options.
- Then select the Security tab.
- Click the Custom Level option
- First, select Medium from the Reset To drop-down menu.
- Scroll down to Display Mixed Content
- Tap the Enable switch for Show mixed content.
- Click the OK button.
Method 3 – Select the TLS Settings
The “Can’t connect securely to this page” tab indicates that the problem may be related to the TLS settings. So this is an indication of a possible resolution. Some Edge users have fixed the page connection error by selecting the following TLS settings.
- Click the Type here button to open the Cortana search box.
- Enter the keyword “Internet Options” in the search field.
- Select Internet Options.
- Select the Advanced tab.
- Then scroll down and select the SSL and TLS checkboxes.
- Click Apply to apply the settings.
- Click OK to close the window.
One last thing, to solve this issue, TLS 1.2 in Microsoft Edge needs to be enabled.
- In the Windows menu search area, enter Internet options.
- Click the Internet options from the results.
- In the Internet Properties window and the Advanced tab, scroll to the Security section.
- Check off Use TLS 1.1 and Use TLS 1.2 checkboxes.
- Click OK.
- Close the browser and restart the Microsoft Edge browser.
If you can’t find any luck with the methods we have listed above, let us know in the comments section below.