If you are using a Windows 10 PC, you will know that Windows Firewall is a non-negotiable component that must be turned on all the time. It helps you fix vulnerabilities and protect you from dangerous viruses, malware, and spyware.
However, some users complain that an error happens when they try to turn on or enable Windows Firewall. This particular error message appears on their computer screens:
“Windows firewall can’t change some of your settings Error code 0x80070422”
This issue precedes the pop-up message to use recommended settings in the firewall. Aside from Windows Firewall, some users also experience this same error when turning on the Windows Defender as well as other security tools you might be using on PC.
Technically, the firewall can’t be turned on error code 0x80070422 only happens when a required service is not running. For most users, this is true when the Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS) is disabled and is not in a running state. Some virus and malware infections as well as outdated operating system files.
How to Fix Can’t Change Defender Firewall Settings Error 0x80070422 in Windows 10
To help you fix error code 0x80070422 when enabling Windows Defender Firewall, follow each of the methods below.
Set up and Enable Background Intelligence Transfer Service (BITS)
Since BITS being disabled is one of the major causes of error 0x80070422, it is imperative to check and have this setting enabled first before trying out any other solutions.
- Open the Services settings by typing “Services” in your search box.
- Right-click on it and select Run as administrator.
- You can also hit the Windows Key+R on your keyboard and type services.msc.
- On the Services window, search for Background Intelligent Transfer Service.
- Check if the service is stopped or set to Disabled.
- Click on it twice and go to the General tab in the resulting window.
- Update the service’s Startup type and change it to Manual.
- Then, click on the Start button under Service Status to start the Background Intelligent Transfer Service.
- To save the new settings, click on Apply and then the OK button.
Set Windows Defender Firewall Startup Type to Automatic in Services
- While at the Services windows, navigate to Windows Defender Firewall service.
- Check the Status and Startup Type of this service.
- Right-click on the service and select Properties.
- Thereafter, navigate to the General tab.
- Now, set the Startup Type to Automatic.
- Then, hit the Apply button and then click OK.
- Once done, hit the Start button to restore the Windows Firewall service.
If the Windows Defender Firewall settings cannot be changed, you can also try to keep your Windows 10 version and Windows Defender up-to-date. Updates contain bug fixes and improvements that can eliminate firewall security errors like 0x80070422.BLACK FRIDAY 2022: Check out these can’t be missed trending deals for Black Friday 2022.