Chromebooks are a pretty convenient way to enjoy the benefits of a computer without breaking the bank. In fact, the Chromebook variants that have been released in the past few years are truly impressive.
Given that they’ve got some value, there are still some unfortunate limitations to them. One inconvenient fact about Chromebooks involves how they are not compatible with MKV video formats, making it difficult to access a larger library of content.
To address this, it’s more convenient to watch all your media in the more accessible MP4 format. Here’s how to comfortably convert from MKV to MP4 on a Chromebook laptop.
How to Convert MKV to MP4 Video File on a Chromebook
Converting from an MKV video format into MP4 isn’t difficult. There are many services devoted to this process, so you can choose from one of many. This list presents some of our top picks from over the years.
Converting MKV to MP4 Video File on Chromebook Using CloudConvert
CloudConvert is a web-based converter service that helps with a quick process. There are no application downloads or payment windows limiting its use. Apart from MKV to MP4, it’s also capable of executing conversions for other file formats like M4V, MXF, FLV and many more.
- Go to the CloudConvert website and choose the Select File button to open your local storage options.
- Browse for the MKV file you wish to convert.
- Choose the file and upload it to CloudConvert.
- Now you can choose to send the finished MP4 file to a cloud service like OneDrive, Dropbox or Google Drive.
- After uploading your file, you can take advantage of some of CloudConvert’s unique features.
- First, click on the wrench, settings icon next to your preferred format. In this case MP4.
- Next, you’ll see an Options window with different choices for what you’d like to convert your file into.
- This includes Resolution, Aspect Ratio, Video Codec, Fit, FPS and more.
- After selecting all your tweaks, close the Options window and select Convert.
- Wait for the process to complete, and select Download once it’s ready.
- You’ll find the downloaded file on your Chromebook’s local storage in an MP4 format.
How to Convert MKV to MP4 Video File on Chromebook with VLC Media Player
VLC is one of the most reliable video players out today. Here’s how you can use it to watch an MKV video in MP4.
- Open the program and select Media from the top-left.
- Select the Convert/Save option.
- Press Add and browse for the MKV file you wish to convert.
- Select Convert/Save at the bottom.
- Choose the output format as MP4/MOV.
- Click on Browse next to the Destination file search box.
- Press Start and wait for the conversion to be completed.
Converting your files on a Chromebook is the lifesaver you need as an avid TV/movie watcher. Thanks to this guide, you should have an easier time enjoying all the videos on your device.