Do you need to talk to someone immediately, but you are still working on your emails? Now, you don’t have to move away from your Gmail. You can make a video or voice call for free or join one right there without exiting the mail app.
Gmail introduces the Google Chat feature. It lets you create a one-on-one chat with someone. You can ring them directly on the phone or start an audio call. Gmail makes it happen to all Android and iOS devices.
Unfortunately, Google Chat on Gmail is available only for a one-on-one chat. Still, it is a huge breakthrough for users who do not want to leave their Gmail app and disrupt their ongoing work progress. It is also helpful for those working but need to make a voice or video call to their co-workers instantly.
How to Enable Voice or Video Calling Feature using Google Chat on Gmail Android or iOS App
The Google Chat tool on the Gmail app creates seamless online communication for better collaboration at work and school. It helps you switch to video or audio calls easier and faster. To know how you can start using Google Chat on Gmail on an iPhone or Android phone, check out the steps below.
Turn On Google Chat Tool on Gmail Android or iOS App
- Launch the Gmail app on your Android or iOS device.
- Go to the upper left corner and tap the three diagonal line icon.
- Select Settings.
- Choose the Google account that you want to use.
- Navigate to General.
- Go to Chat.
- Look for the Show the chat and spaces tab option and toggle it to On.
Turn On Google Chat Tool on Gmail for Desktop Computer
You can also enable and use the Google Chat Gmail feature on the web app using your Windows PC or Mac computer browser. Here’s how to do it:
- To enable Google Chat on your computer, open the Gmail app.
- Go to the top right corner and select Settings.
- Click See all settings.
- Select Chat and Meet.
- Navigate to Chat.
- Look for Google Chat and turn it On.
- Click Save Changes.
If you don’t see the Google Chat option on your Gmail app, it is best to update the app to its latest software version.
How to Start or Join a Voice or Video Call for Free Directly on Gmail using Google Chat
It is easy to start or join a video or voice call on Google Chat.
- To ring someone, launch Google Chat on Gmail. Open the 1 on 1 chat of the person you want to call and click or tap the phone icon on the upper right corner.
- To join or receive a call, click or tap the phone or video icon in the 1 on 1 chat.
Google Chat on Gmail is available to all users of Google Workspace, including G Site Basic and Business, and with personal Google accounts.
What do you think of the Google Chat feature on Gmail? We value your opinion, and we love to hear them. You can write to us in the comment section below.