If you have a Sonos sound system, you can now activate and use Google Assistant to create a better and more convenient experience at home. Even if you don’t have Google Home or Nest inside your house, you can still use Google Assistant on your Sonos One, Arc, Move, Beam, or Roam.
Once you set up and connect Google Assistant to your Sonos smart speaker or soundbar, you can use it to control any smart home devices linked to it using a voice command. You can ask Google Assistant to play music, tell you the weather update, turn off the lights, search on the Internet, or any other tasks that you can do with Google Home and Nest speakers.
If one of your Sonos devices does not have a Google Assistant capability, you can still control it through your Google Home or Nest speakers, or Sonos sound system with Google Assistant compatibility.
How to Setup and Connect Google Assistant to Control Sonos Speakers
Before you start setting up Google Assistant on your Sonos device, you need to install the latest software or firmware on your Sonos speakers and app.
Update Sonos Device Firmware or Software
- Launch your Sonos Controller app.
- Go to Settings.
- Select System.
- Tap System Updates.
- Select Check for Updates.
- Install the available update.
DON’T MISS: Exclusive Amazon Deals on Sonos Speakers
Set up Google Assistant on Supported Sonos Smart Speaker or Soundbar
Now that your Sonos device is up to date, you can start activating Google Assistant.
- On your Sonos app, navigate to the Settings menu.
- Select Services & Voice.
- Go to the Voice section.
- Select Add a Voice Assistant.
- Choose Google Assistant.
- Tap Add to Sonos.
- Now, you can select any or all the speakers that you want to connect with Google Assistant.
- After selecting the devices, choose Add Google Assistant.
- Select Go to Google Assistant app.
- The Google Assistant app will open.
- On the Google Assistant app, tap Next.
- Tap Continue.
- Sign in to your Sonos account.
- Allow Google to control your Sonos device.
- Tap Next.
- Allow Sonos to access your Google Account.
- Enter your address.
- Tap Next.
- Continue to set up your Sonos account, depending on your preference.
- After setting up your personal preferences, tap Done.
- You will go back to your Sonos app.
- Tap Continue.
- You can finish setting up your account.
How to Link Google Assistant to Voice-Enabled Portable Sonos Devices
If you cannot find your voice-enabled Sonos device in your Google Assistant app, you can link it by following the steps below.
- Launch your Google Assistant app.
- Select your profile.
- Head over to the Devices tab.
- Select Add devices.
- Tap Link a smart home device.
- Link your Sonos device.
What Sonos home speaker are you connecting to Google Assistant? How was your experience? We would love to know your story. You can write to us below.