If you are the type of gamer who plays a lot of games, then you might need to add more storage space allocation on your PS5. With its launch comes about 825 GB of Solid State Drive (SSD) space available in the Sony PlayStation 5 console. Now, you can store more games into the storage provided but note that you can only use about 667GB of it due to the needed space for the PS5 OS.
So, if you are thinking of how small and insufficient the in-built SSD storage on your PS5 gaming console is, it’s not a problem. You can easily upgrade and expand your storage by adding a compatible internal M.2 SSD.
What is an M.2 SSD?
PS5 beta users can upgrade their PS5 console or PS5 Digital Edition’s internal space allocation with an M.2 SSD storage device. Gamers can add and play PS4 and PS5 games on their console, including media apps. You can move your games from your console’s main storage to your M.2 SSD storage.
PS5 System Requirements for M2 SSD Drive
Your M.2 SSD must have a capacity of 250GB to 4TB. The interface is PCIe Gen4 x4 M.2 NVMe SSD with a sequential read speed of 5,500MB/s or faster. The socket type is 5,500MB/s or faster, and the module width is 22mm width. Compatible length with PS5 console is 30mm, 42mm, 60mm, 80mm, or 110mm with the height of less than 11.25mm, including both the SSD and its cooling structure.
Please note that only PS5 beta users can avail and get the SSD expansion capability. You need to have a beta invitation or are currently enrolled in the beta testing system.
Steps to Install M2 SSD Internal Storage to Upgrade Internal Space on Sony PlayStation 5 (PS5) Console
- Launch the Settings menu.
- Select System.
- Go to System Software.
- Select Console Information.
Now, you will need to turn off your PS5 and unplug it. Hold the Power button for three seconds to power off your PS5. Unplug all cables and wait for several minutes to cool it off. Do not attempt to install your M2 SSD drive without cooling down your PS5.
- Prepare a soft cloth on a flat surface.
- Lay your PS5 on it with the disk drive upwards.
- Remove the base cover.
- Hold the top corner of the base cover. Lift and slide it gently towards you or the base.
- You will see the long rectangular cover with a screw. It is the slot for your SSD storage device.
- Unscrew it carefully and remove the cover.
- Now, remove the screw and adjust the spacer to the size of your M.2 SSD.
- Insert your M2 SSD. Make sure it aligns with the notch of the expansion connector. You can insert it diagonally upward.
- After securing your M.2 SSD, you can screw the cover back and cover it with the base.
- Connect your power cords and turn your PS5 on.
Will you be adding an M.2 SSD storage expansion on your PS5? Which type of games typically eat up your console’s internal storage space? You can share your thoughts with us in the comments section below.