Outlook is a free email client from Microsoft. You can organize and manage all your email messages and calendar in Outlook 365 using one platform. It is easy to locate the Inbox, sent emails, and deleted ones that you can permanently remove.
One of the features of Microsoft Outlook is the auto-complete memory or the email suggestions list that adds the recipients email addresses in the designated field of the new messages automatically. As you enter the first few characters of the email address, Outlook will show suggested addresses with the same first characters. If you find what you are looking for, click the address, and it will automatically complete the field for you.
While the auto-complete or autofill feature is helpful, there are times when you don’t like the addresses appearing on the list. You may see email addresses from people you want to block from your emails. In some cases, pulled addresses have wrong spellings in their characters, which will risk you sending to the wrong or invalid recipient’s email. There are also times when an old email address is showing up for a certain recipient who has a new address.
To prevent these scenarios from happening, you can delete the email addresses you don’t like from your Outlook auto-complete list.
How to Remove or Delete Email Addresses from the Suggestions or Auto-Complete List on Outlook
The method of deleting and clearing the suggested email addresses list is easy. It will only take a few minutes to follow the procedure below.
Deleting One Email Address from Outlook Auto-Complete List
If you only have one or two email addresses that you want to remove from the suggestions list, try following the steps below.
- Launch the Microsoft Outlook client or web app.
- On the upper left corner, click the New Email button.
- Go to the recipient or the To field.
- Enter a few characters from the email address you want to delete to display the auto-complete list.
- Highlight the email address you want to remove using the Down arrow.
- Press the Delete key on your keyboard or click the X icon.
Removing All Email Addresses from Outlook Auto-Complete List
It is also possible to remove and clean up all the email addresses from your Outlook auto-complete list.
- On your Microsoft Outlook, click the File tab.
- Go to Options found at the left panel.
- Click the Mail option.
- Look for the Send messages section.
- Click the Empty Auto-Complete List button.
- Click Yes to confirm.
How to Turn Off Outlook Auto-Complete List
You can also disable the auto-complete list feature altogether on your Outlook account. That way, it will not pull down suggested email addresses when you enter the different fields in your new message windows.
- Open the File tab of your Microsoft Outlook.
- Select Options.
- Go to Mail.
- Under the Send messages section, look for Use Auto-Complete List to suggest names when typing in the To, Cc, and Bcc lines.
- Uncheck the box to disable the option.
Do you prefer having the auto-complete list or not? We would love to know your reasons. Please write to us in the comments section below.STILL HAVING ISSUES? Try this tool to troubleshoot Windows errors and safely optimize system performance