Password management is crucial when you have multiple accounts online. However, many users fail to manage and secure their passwords if they do it on their own and without a tool. 1Password is a promising and popular password manager that allows you to save your passwords in a vault and keep them secured from potential compromises. You can use a master password to access your vault, even if you are using multiple unique passwords for your accounts.
Still, there may be glitches along the way, even for a reliable and stable password manager software like 1Password. Users sometimes encounter the “We were unable to reach the server” error when they try to save a password or access their vault. While it is worrying for an issue to occur on your password manager, some solutions can help you fix the problem.
The complete error message says,
“We were unable to reach the server. Please check your Internet connection and try again.”
How to Troubleshoot & Fix 1Password Error: We Were Unable to Reach the Server
The “We were unable to reach the server” error on 1Password may be due to different reasons. One possible cause is account-related. You may have issues with your 1Password account, so you cannot save or access your vault. Another reason may be due to your weak Internet connection as indicated in the error message. To help you resolve the problem, follow each of the solutions below.
Solution #1 – Check Your Internet Connection
As indicated above, you may have a weak Internet connection. Do a speed test to check your network speed. You may also power cycle your network device to refresh your WiFi Internet connection.
- Turn off your device and unplug your router and modem.
- Wait for at least 1 minute before plugging them back in.
- Now, turn on your device and retry 1Password.
Solution #2 – Update Your Browser
- Launch your browser.
- Go to Settings or the Help section.
- Click the About page of your browser.
- Select Updates or Check for updates.
- If there are available upgrades for your browser, install them and reboot your device.
Solution #3 – Update Your 1Password Browser Extension
Update 1Password Extension on Google Chrome
- Click the Menu button on your Google Chrome browser.
- Select More Tools.
- Choose Extensions.
- Check the 1Password version.
- If you need to update, go to https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/1password-%E2%80%93-password-mana/aeblfdkhhhdcdjpifhhbdiojplfjncoa.
Install 1Password Update Via Safari
- Click 1Password on your Safari browser.
- Select About 1Password.
- Check the version number and where you have installed it.
- If via 1Password Store, click 1Password on your browser.
- Select Preferences.
- Enable Automatically check for updates.
- Click Check Now.
- If via Mac App Store, click the Apple menu.
- Select System Preferences.
- Click Software Update.
- Choose Advanced.
- Enable Install app updates from the Mac App Store.
Download 1Password Extension Update via Mozilla Firefox
- Click the Firefox menu.
- Go to Add-ons.
- Look for 1Password.
- Click More and check the version number.
- Click the gear button.
- Turn on Update Add-ons Automatically.
- Click Check for Updates.
- To install the update, go to https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1password-x-password-manager/.
Update 1Password Extension on Brave Browser
- Click the Brave menu.
- Go to Extensions.
- Look for 1Password.
- Select Details and take note of the version number.
- Now, go to https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/1password-x-%E2%80%93-password-ma/aeblfdkhhhdcdjpifhhbdiojplfjncoa and install available updates.
Install 1Password Browser Extension Update on Microsoft Edge
- Click the Edge menu.
- Select Extensions.
- Look for 1Password.
- Click Details.
- Check the version number.
- Go to https://microsoftedge.microsoft.com/addons/detail/dppgmdbiimibapkepcbdbmkaabgiofem and download the updates.
Solution #4 – Reinstall 1Password
If the error persists after following the solutions above, you may want to uninstall your 1Password extension and reinstall it.
- Go to the Extensions or Add-ons on your browser.
- Look for 1Password and click Remove.
- Go to https://support.1password.com/getting-started-browser/ and install 1Password on your current browser.
What solution above fixed your 1Password error? We would love to know what works best, so please drop your answers below.