Encountering an error is frustrating especially if relating to your password. Many users encounter a File System error after adding their username and password to the User Account Control (UAC). They see the error message:
"This program does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. File system error (-1073741189)."
Apart from not accepting your password, when you right-click on the field, it will not contain the Paste option for your password.
The Reason Behind the File System Error
Just like any computer error, there may be corrupted files or changes in your system hence preventing you from moving forward in your processes. The File System Error may occur due to corrupt system files in your computer. Another reason is when the registry values of your UAC may have been changed.
Investigating further on the error will show that the Consent.exe is crashed. Consent.exe is a safe process that launches the user interface for the UAC. It is another level of authorization for added security.
How to Fix The File System Error:
Install the Windows 10 Cumulative Update
The Windows 10 Cumulative Update was released on April 23, 2018 or later.
- First, verify your system configurations.
- Go to Settings and choose Systems.
- Click About and check your system configurations.
- Open any browser and go to the Microsoft Update Catalog website.
- Then, on the search bar, type the KB number of the Windows Update package, For the Windows 10 Cumulative Update, the KB number is KB4093105. Press enter.
- A list of different versions of the Windows 10 update will appear. You will see versions in 32-bit, 64-bit, Windows 10 in S mode, and ARM among others. Choose the correct version of the update based on your system configurations.
- Click Download and a pop-up window will appear.
- Choose the .msu file and download.
- Wait for the process to finish. Once done, double click on the .msu file and the new update will be installed.
- Restart your computer to apply the changes.
Installing the Windows 10 Cumulative Update will fix the crashed consent.exe. If the password input box is still blocked, you can display the UAC on a standard user desktop and not on a Winlogon desktop. Use gpedit.msc to configure the elevated prompt to display on a standard user desktop. Once you have copied your password on the standard user desktop, it will read the data in plain text and thus no more need to read the password from the UAC box.
Microsoft offers solutions and updates on Windows errors while maintaining security boundaries for user protection. Is the solution above helpful? Let us know in the comments below.AMAZON TRADE-IN DISCOUNTS: Trade in & save on a new Fire TV device now!