One of the many ways to connect with other people is through video conferencing or meetings. With platforms like Google Meet, you can shorten the distance and connect with anyone despite being miles apart. It is easier to see and talk to each other online at any time.
Unfortunately, many Google Meet users encounter an audio problem when they try to use the video conferencing platform. They see the following error message during calls, “Your mic has been muted by your system settings. Go to your computer’s settings to unmute your mic and adjust its level.”
How to Fix & Unmute Google Meet Microphone by System Settings
There may be varying reasons why your system settings muted your mic on Google Meet video meetings. But, you do not need to feel frustrated as this is a common error when using the platform. You can try to troubleshoot the issue and fix it by following the solutions below.
Solution #1 – Fix the Volume Settings via Volume Mixer
- On your PC, navigate to your taskbar and look for the Sound icon.
- Right-click on it and select Open Volume Mixer.
- On the mixer, unmute the settings and set the volume for your devices and applications.
Solution #2 – Restart your Device
- Exit all running apps in the background.
- Power off your device and wait for a few minutes.
- Turn on your device and relaunch Google Meet.
Solution #3 – Allow Access to your Microphone
- Launch the Settings menu of your PC.
- Go to Privacy.
- Navigate to App Permissions.
- Select Microphone.
- Look for the Allow apps to access your microphone option.
- Toggle the button to on.
- For Mac users, click the Apple icon.
- Select System Preferences.
- Choose Security & Privacy.
- Look for the Microphone option.
- Check the box next to Google Meet or the browser where you use Google Meet.
Solution #4 – Check your Microphone Settings
- On the taskbar, click the Sound icon.
- Select Open Sound Settings.
- Navigate to the Related Settings.
- Choose Sound Control Panel.
- Go to the Recording tab.
- Select Microphone.
- Click the Properties button.
- Navigate to the Levels tab.
- Make sure to unmute the Microphone icon.
- You can also adjust the Microphone sound level.
- Click Apply.
- Click OK.
Solution #5 – Install Available Updates on your Microphone Driver
- Launch the Device Manager of your computer. You can also use the Search option to look for Device Manager.
- Scroll down to Audio Inputs and Outputs.
- Look for your Microphone and right-click it.
- Select Update Driver.
- Select Search Automatically For Drivers.
- Restart your computer after the update.
Solution #6 – Run the Microphone Troubleshooter
- Open the Settings menu of your device.
- Go to System.
- Select Troubleshoot.
- Choose Additional troubleshooters.
- Select Recording Audio.
- Click Run the Troubleshooter.
- Select your Microphone indicated as the Current Default Device.
- Click Next.
- Select Apply Fix.
Do you have other solutions to fix the muted microphone error on Google Meet? We love to hear them! You can share them in the comment section below.