Sharing files is important and not just meant between two or more people. Sometimes, we need to share files to ourselves from one device to another. While it is possible for us to share files from our smartphones to our computers, doing the opposite would mean using installed notes applications or perhaps sending these files to ourselves via email. It may be possible but can take time.
Now, Google sees the dilemma and recently launched a solution that will allow sharing from computers to smartphones. Users will be able to copy any content from their computers and paste it on their smartphones or tablets. However, this new note-sharing feature is only available to users of Chrome Canary.
So, before enjoying the benefits of the new sharing tool, take note that you can do this only if you have a similar Gmail account used in both your computer and your smartphone. You also need to download Chrome Canary. Lastly, you will need to enable Chrome sync.
How to Download Chrome Canary
Chrome is one of the most popular browsers that we use these days. But, there are developmental processes going on to further enhance the browser’s functionality and give its users excellent function. For Chrome, it is divided into 4 channels: Stable, Beta, Dev and Canary. We all use Stable because it is, well, more stable and trusted as a browser. Beta offers things new and actually work while Dev is for the developers.
The Chrome Canary, on the other hand, is rather raw and unstable and not an ideal default browser. Still, it is good for those who want to try things new and untested especially for developers. It runs alongside the Stable.
To install Chrome Canary to your computer, you must first download the browser. It is available both for Android, Windows, and Mac users. Go to www.google.com/chrome/canary/ and download the browser. Follow the instructions on how to install.
How to Enable the New Clipboard Sharing
To begin using the clipboard sharing, see to it that you also have Chrome installed in your smartphone. Log in your Google account to Chrome both in your smartphone and computer. Next, enable your clipboard sharing.
- Go to chrome://flags.
- Search for clipboard.
- Go to ‘Enable receiver device to handle shared clipboard feature’ and set to Enabled.
- Next, proceed to ‘Enable shared clipboard feature signals to be handled’ and set to Enabled.
- Lastly, set ‘Sync clipboard services’ to Enabled.
- Navigate to the bottom of the page when prompted to restart your browser. Click to relaunch Chrome.
- Do the same with your Chrome Canary on your smartphone.
How to Share Clipboard Between Your Computer and Android Smartphone
After you have enabled sharing on both your computer and your smartphone, it is time to put them into action.
From your Computer
- Highlight the text that you want to copy.
- Right click and choose “Send text to (name of your device).
- Next, open your Chrome on your smartphone.
- Long press on a text field and choose Paste to paste your copied text.
From your Android Smartphone
- Open your Chrome Canary and highlight the text you want to copy.
- Click on Share and choose “Send text to (name of your device).
- Choose the device on your list and you can paste it on your computer.
Sharing copied texts between different devices can make things a lot easier for users. It can help us save time and energy, not to mention adding productivity to our lives. Enable the new Clipboard Sharing on Chrome and tell us your experience in the comment section below.