On March 25th, Microsoft revealed Build 19592.1001 to Fast ring insiders, a build that adds tablet posture improvements and announces Amanda Langowski as the new lead of the Windows Insider Program.
This Insider update also includes several improvements, features and fixes..
If you’re a Windows Insider in the Fast ring, you can update to the Insider Preview Build 19592 by going to Settings -> Update & Security -> Windows Update and then looking for new updates.
Get Acquainted with the new Windows Insider Program Head
If you missed the news earlier this week, Panos Panay announced that Amanda Langowski is the new director of Windows Insider.
What’s New in Insider Preview Build 19592
Improved Tablet Posture for 2-in-1 Convertible PCs
Microsoft re-introduces a new 2-in-1 PC tablet convertible to a preview for some Windows Insiders in Fast Ring. This experience is different from the tablet mode, which you can continue to use. This new experience allows users to put the tablet in place without interrupting the familiar desktop experience, with some significant improvements in touch:
- Taskbar icons are distributed well. They are spaced out.
- The search field on the taskbar switches to icon-only mode.
- Automatically invoke the touch keyboard when you touch the text field.
- File Explorer items are a little loaded to make interaction with them more comfortable by touch.
You’ll also notice that we’ve updated some of the appropriate tablet settings under Settings > System to allow you to control your experience.
To ensure quality, the feature will enter slowly, starting with some insiders who have never removed their keyboard or whose tablet mode settings are set to “Don’t ask me and don’t switch”.
Note: This feature was previously introduced on a trial basis for Windows Insiders in version 20H1 18970 and ended in version 19013, but after some enhancements, we are reintroducing it in Windows Insiders in this version and plan to share this experience with customers in a future Windows 10 update.
General Changes and Improvements
The Windows search platform (Indexer) has been updated with improved logic to find the best time to index files and avoid heavy indexing when using a computer. Improvements have also been made to dramatically reduce the time it takes to index your file service for content that does not affect your search, and to give you a better Windows experience.
- We fixed the problem that caused ARM devices to get checked for errors and removed the lockout by this version.
- We fixed an issue that could have caused the options page to be blank in the settings.
- We solved the problem when the Corrupt Repair process (DISM) stopped at 84.9%.
- We fixed the problem when after successfully completing the upgrade and restarting the device, the Stop button in the Start menu still showed Update and Update, Update and Restart.
- We fixed an issue that could have caused Windows Updates with error 0x80070003 to crash.
- We fixed an issue that sometimes caused settings to crash when updates stopped or the Windows Update Settings page did not load.
- Fixed a bug from a previous flight that caused additional rows to appear in the quick access list on the taskbar.
- Fixed an issue that caused a black window to appear where only one mouse was visible to another when one application was shared by several Microsoft commands.
- BattlEye and Microsoft have identified incompatibility issues due to changes in the operating system between some versions of Insider Preview and some versions of BattlEye’s overheating protection. To protect insiders who have these versions installed on their PC, we have installed a compatibility lock on these devices so that they are not affected by Windows Insider Preview versions.
- We understand that Narrator and NVDA users looking for the latest version of Microsoft Edge based on Chromium may have difficulty viewing and reading some web content. Teams of storytellers, NVDA and The Edge are aware of these problems. Users of the old version of Microsoft Edge are not affected. NVAccess has released NVDA 2019.3, which solves the known Edge problem.
- We are looking at reports of longer breaks in the upgrade process when installing a new version.
- On some devices, an error check (GSOD) may occur when restarting to install this update. If this happens, log on, set the time to install the updates, and then log off all user profiles before the scheduled installation time. Installation will proceed according to schedule.
- In the Documents section, under Privacy, there is a broken icon (rectangle only).
- When trying to take a screenshot using Win + PrtScn, the image is not saved in the Screenshots directory. For now you should use one of the other options to take screenshots, for example WIN + Shift + S.
- Windows with sticky records cannot be moved. To get around this problem, press Alt + Space when setting focus on Sticky Notes. A menu with the “Move” option will appear. Select this option and then use the arrow keys or mouse to move the window.
- We examine reports that some insiders receive driver compatibility warnings when they attempt to update their version in certain virtual environments.
You might want to inspect directly the official release page of Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 19592.1001 on the Microsoft Windows Insider blog.