Today Microsoft revealed Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 19546 to Insiders in the Fast ring, that brings Graphing Mode in Windows Calculator and introduces the Indexer Diagnostics app.
This Insider update also includes other features, improvements, and numerous fixes. The last preview build 19541 was released January 9 which added Location and Task Manager updates.
If you’re a Windows Insider in the Fast ring, you can update to the Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 19546 by going to Settings -> Update & Security -> Windows Update and checking for new updates.
What’s new in Build 19546
Introducing Graphing Mode in Windows Calculator
Today we update the Windows calculator for insiders with a preview of our new graphing mode. Adding graphical display support is one of our main requirements for the Feedback Hub feature, and we are pleased to make this feature available to our users. Graphical features are also important for students who are just starting to learn linear algebra. With this feature, we hope to empower students to learn mathematics by improving their conceptual understanding and attitude towards mathematics.
Here are some things you can try with this new feature.
- Draw one or more equations on a graph. Enter a few equations so that you can compare the graphs and see the interaction between the lines. You can also customize the line style and the graph display window to suit your needs.
- Add equations with variables. If you enter an equation with a secondary variable (e.g., “y = mx + b”), you can easily manipulate these variables to quickly understand how changes in the equation affect the graph.
- Analyze the graph. Follow the graphs with your mouse or keyboard to better understand the relationship between the variables in the equation on the graph. You can also analyze the equations to identify important features of the graph, such as x and y cross sections.
We are looking for comments! Tell us what you would like to see next, using the Feedback Hub under Applications > Calculator, or select the Send Feedback button on the About page. If you’re a developer, check out the project at GitHub – we’re always accepting applications! #Assembler
Other Updates for Insiders
Introducing the Indexer Diagnostics app
The Indexer Diagnostic App is now available in beta version on the Microsoft Store. It has been created to help you better understand the search functions, as well as to improve diagnosis and support for common Windows search problems.
Over time, the tool will be improved and more features will be added, as always, we appreciate your feedback! The application is available for all users of Windows 10 version 1809 or higher.
General Changes, Improvements, and Fixes for PC
- We fixed an issue resulting in Timeline not showing any activities.
- We fixed an issue resulting in Outlook search not working for some.
- We fixed an issue significantly impacting Task View reliability for some.
- We fixed an issue where pressing Spatial Sound -> Off in the sound menu caused Explorer.exe to crash.
- BattlEye and Microsoft have found incompatibility issues due to changes in the operating system between some Insider Preview builds and certain versions of BattlEye anti-cheat software. To safeguard Insiders who might have these versions installed on their PC, we have applied a compatibility hold on these devices from being offered affected builds of Windows Insider Preview.
- We are aware Narrator and NVDA users that seek the latest release of Microsoft Edge based on Chromium may experience some difficulty when navigating and reading certain web content. Narrator, NVDA and the Edge teams are aware of these issues. Users of legacy Microsoft Edge will not be affected.
- The cloud recovery option for Reset this PC isn’t working on this build. Please use the local reinstall option when performing Reset this PC.
- We’re looking into reports of the update process hanging for extended periods of time when attempting to install a new build.
- We’re investigating reports that some Insiders are unable to update to newer builds with error 0x8007042b.
- We’re looking into reports of certain external USB 3.0 drives not responding with Start Code 10 after they’re attached.
- The Optimize Drives Control Panel is incorrectly reporting that optimization has never run on some devices. Optimization is completing successfully, even though it is not reflected in the UI.
- The Documents section under Privacy has a broken icon (just a rectangle).
- Remote Desktop Connection crashes when attempting to connect to multiple sessions.
- Snipping isn’t working on secondary monitors.
- The IME candidate window for East Asian IMEs (Simplified Chinese, Traditional Chinese, and the Japanese IME) may not open sometimes. We are investigating your reports. As a workaround if you encounter this, please change the focus to another application or editing area and back to the original and try again. Alternatively, you can go to Task Manager and end the “TextInputHost.exe” task from the Details tab, and it should work afterwards.
You can see the official release page of Build 19546 on the Microsoft Windows Insider blog.