Canon is no doubt one of the top names in the world when it comes to printers and other similar productivity electronic devices ideal for home and office use. However, despite being such a known name in the market, this doesn’t mean that Canon is free from problems.
But if it’s any consolation, fixing most error codes on Canon printers is simple. However, handwork and self-inspection may be necessary to fix them.
Troubleshooting Tips to Resolve Canon Printer Error Code 5, E06 or 157
Without any need for special tools, here are some of the things you can do to solve these Canon printer issues.
Inspect the Source of the Canon Printer Error Code
In general, there are three common types of error codes for Canon printers that you need to locate. These are the ink cartridges, jams, and settings.
- If the error is connected to the setting of your printer, you can launch the Run box.
- Hold down the Windows and R keys on the keyboard.
- A tiny box will appear on the screen in the lower left-hand corner.
- In the bar, type control panel and click OK. The two words should have a space between them without any quotes.
- In the Control Panel, search for Devices and Printers.
- Clicking OK will show up a big box with some menu items.
- Search for “Hardware and Sound” and click “View devices and printers” below it.
- Scroll down to find your printer then right-click to get more options. A short list should appear after right-clicking on your printer in the menu.
- Choose Printing Preferences.
You will find some default settings here for the Canon printer that you can change depending on the documents you want to print. Error codes may show up if the settings don’t match the type or dimensions of the paper you plan to print out.
Paper jams can be located either inside the access door on the front of the paper or in the paper loading bay behind. These paper jams are obvious if you can spot torn or crumpled paper.
The settings of your printer indicate the level of ink and type of cartridge. Just follow the steps above to find the settings of your Canon printer.
- But this time, right-click the printer in the menu for Devices and Printer and choose Printer properties.
- Click the tab for Maintenance and View Printer Status.
- A tiny box will show up on the right-hand portion of the screen that shows the printer ink levels.
Addressing Canon Printer Error Codes
After locating the proper place for fixing the error codes, it’s time to address them. If the printer settings are at fault, you just have to adjust the paper size, type, print quality, and source in the menu for printing preferences and click OK.
If you’re dealing with paper jams, just unhook the printer’s power first and open the ink cartridge tray located at the front to access the jammed paper inside.
- The paper loading tray area can also help you grasp the jammed paper.
- Pull it out gently until you dislodge it.
- For ink cartridges low on ink, you just have to buy a new one and insert its replacement in the slot.
- Just open the printer’s front panel and look for the two printer cartridges in the holders.
- Push in the holder and lift to replace the cartridges.
Since there are no specific details regarding error codes 5, E06, or 157 on Canon printers, performing general troubleshooting steps may help you fix the issue.