The Google Pixel Watch is essentially a hybrid product that brings together a wristwatch and a Fitbit, with the goal of enhancing the functionality of Google’s Pixel smartphones. The tech giant is putting a lot of effort into establishing the Fitbit smartwatch brand as being linked with this aesthetically pleasing piece of hardware.
The Google Pixel Watch is among the best on the market, but it is not without its flaws. One of these issues is that it won’t download and install device software or firmware updates all of the time.
How to Troubleshoot & Fix Google Pixel Watch won’t Download & Install Software/Firmware Update Problem
If you are also dealing with the same problem when upgrading the firmware or device software on Google Pixel Watch, fortunately, there are several troubleshooting solutions to consider in this regard. Several potential fixes and answers to this issue are detailed in the following sections.
Solution 1 – Turn Off the Bluetooth Feature
Sometimes this problem can be caused by the watch attempting to download and install the firmware or software update over Bluetooth, which is an extremely sluggish method in comparison to downloading directly on your smartwatch using WiFi. If you go through each step in the instructions below, the update should begin downloading in a few minutes.
- First, you’ll need to connect your watch to your WiFi network.
- You need to turn off the Bluetooth on your watch.
- Navigate to the System Settings menu on your watch.
- The “Update” button can be found by clicking here.
The update should be downloaded sooner. After the software update has been installed successfully and your watch has been restarted, you will be able to re-enable Bluetooth.
Solution 2 – Connecting 2G Network on your Watch
Since the Pixel watch does not support 5G WiFi, you will be required to provide the WiFi passcode for your 2G network in order to connect it.
- To add your 2G network, navigate to the connectivity menu on the watch.
- You should enter the passphrase using your phone (the watch will prompt you for this option – Bluetooth must be connected).
- If the watch is displaying that it is linked to WiFi, you need to turn off the Bluetooth feature on the watch.
- To update the software, navigate to the settings of the watch.
- If you get the impression that your use of the phone is slowing down the process, set the phone aside until the update has been finished installing.
Following the steps outlined above will undoubtedly rectify the issue with downloading and installing the Pixel Watch firmware update.
Solution 3 – Download Firmware or Software Update Manually
There is still a way for you to force your Google Pixel Watch to download software or firmware updates, even if nothing else in this regard works. This can be done by updating all of your Google and Pixel apps manually (which are not that many in number).
- Launch the Play Store on the Google Pixel Watch.
- Find the apps that need to be updated and do so.
- Make the necessary updates one by one.
- As soon as you have updated all of them, the system will start upgrading itself shortly after that.
Wrapping it Up
There is no clear explanation for why the Google Pixel Watch won’t download and install software upgrades at times. If something like this occurs, you can update the system by utilizing the solutions that were discussed earlier in this page.