A username is our identity in social media, forums, or other websites. We use it for other members to know us and associate our responses and activities with our username. It is also easier for other people to find us and send us a direct message.
When you sign up for an account on Facebook, you will need to create a unique username as your identity. However, there are cases when some people encounter the “You are not eligible to create a username” error on Facebook.
This error happens when you try to create a username for your page on Facebook. If this issue happens to you, it is difficult to completely set up your page on Facebook. You will also get stuck with the generic URL that Facebook assigns to your page without having to choose and use your own unique URL with your username in it.
Why Does Facebook Say I am Not Eligible to Create a Username?
There are different reasons why you are facing the not eligible to create a username error for your Facebook page.
- The username you want has already been taken by another user.
- Your username is either too short or too long. It must be at least 5 characters long and a maximum of 5 characters.
- It must contain alphanumeric characters.
- If you need to create a username for your Facebook page, it should have at least 25-page likes.
- For usernames on your Facebook page, you must be a page admin to create one.
How to Fix Facebook Error “You are not eligible to create a username”
Add Your Facebook Account as Admin to the Page
If you want to create a new username for your Facebook page, you need to make your account as admin.
- While on your Facebook Page on the app or site, navigate to the Page Settings.
- Look for Page Roles and click to open.
- Look for Assign a new Page role.
- Type your Facebook name or email address.
- On the option beside it, change the role from Editor to Admin.
- Click Add.
- Once done, you can now go back to your Facebook account.
- On the upper-right corner, go to Manage Pages.
- Click the page you want to add a username.
- Select About.
- Now, click Create a page @username.
- Type the username. If it is available, click Create a username.
Did the article help you? Tell us in the comments below.