Google Chromecast allows you to mirror or cast your smaller device screen into another display, preferably to a bigger monitor. That being said, you can cast the screen on your Windows 10 PC or Mac computer to your smart TV for a better and wider viewing experience. It is easy to use Chromecast. You can find the cast button and click it to send your screen into a bigger one.
But, some users are asking if they can use the Chromecast feature to extend their TV as a second screen display. Since it has the function to mirror screens, you might be able to use it as an extension to your Windows 10 or Mac desktop as well as Chromebook laptops.
Using Chromecast as a secondary desktop or laptop monitor means that you can drag apps into the bigger screen while retaining what is displayed on your computer screen. For instance, you can drag a file to open on your smart TV while you open a different app on your Windows PC, macOS, or ChromeOS device.
Can You Extend your Windows or Mac Desktop Display using Google Chromecast as Screen Monitor?
Unfortunately, the answer is No. You cannot use Chromecast as a second monitor or extend your Windows or macOS desktop screen. You can only use Chromecast to cast browser tabs, files, your computer desktop, pictures, music, videos, and podcasts.
Chromecast is available on Google Chrome and Chromium-based browsers such as Microsoft Edge, Opera, and Brave. If you are using Firefox, there is also a Chromecast for Firefox, but you need to use a 3rd party extension to cast via Chromecast.
How to Cast Video, Music, or Podcast File via Chromecast
When it comes to different files and media, Chromecast allows you to cast and view them on other devices using Google Chrome browser. Follow the steps below to stream your content on TV.
- First, launch the file that you want to cast. You can choose images, video files, music, podcast, or other documents.
- Then, open your Google Chrome browser.
- Click the Chromecast icon on the top of the screen.
- Look for the Sources button below. Click it to open the drop-down menu.
- Select Cast file.
- Now, select the screen or device that you want to cast your file.
How to Mirror a Browser Tab and Desktop Screen to Smart TV using Chromecast
If you want to view a desktop or laptop computer Chromium-based browser tab on a bigger screen display, you can use Chromecast to mirror it on your smart TV.
- Go to the browser tab you want to cast.
- On your browser, click the Chromecast icon.
- Click the Source button.
- Select Cast tab.
- Click the screen or device that you want to cast your tab.
- To cast the entire desktop, you can follow the same steps but choose Cast desktop instead.
NEED A NEW DEVICE? Get your Chromecast with Google TV from Walmart!
How is your experience with Google Chromecast? We value your opinion. Kindly write us one below.