Apple users have enjoyed an upgraded experience in their text messaging through iMessage while Android users are stuck with an old-fashioned SMS technology. Thankfully, the wait is over and soon Android users will have RCS Messaging on their devices.
In a nutshell, RCS Messaging offers an enhanced experience on text messaging. It offers a similar look and interaction to messaging apps like WhatsApp and Facebook Messenger. Plus, users can use other features that are limited on a regular SMS technology.
What is RCS Messaging
RCS Messaging, or Rich Communications Services, is a form of messaging that is more upgraded than a regular SMS, or Short Message Service. Users can read receipts of their messages, start a group chat, and moderate people in the group.
There are typing indicators available as well as audio and video messages. You can also send and receive high resolution photos and videos. If someone replies to your texts, you will receive notifications. RCS Messaging also offers real-time typing. You can check who are online and chat using Wi-Fi.
Users of RCS messaging will no longer be limited to 160 characters. Now, you can send longer messeges without restrictions with thousands of characters to use. Since RCS messaging is integrated in both Android and iPhone, users can exchange messages and use the features no matter what smartphone they use. Still, if your recepient does not use RCS Messaging, you can still text them via SMS.
How to Get and Enable Android RCS Chat Messaging on Your Phone
- First, you will need to have Google Messages (Android Messages) on your phone. If you don’t, download it via Google Play and install.
- Open Google Messages and click Set as Default.
- You will be notified that you will not be able to use some of your phone’s features once Google Messages is set on default. Click Yes to proceed.
- The app will start to process and update your text messages. Once done, you will see all your text messages in the new platform.
- On the upper right side of the screen, look for the three dots and click to open.
- Select Settings and click Chat Features. For other mobile phones, click General then select Chat Features.
- Look for Enable chat features and toggle to switch on.
- Type in your mobile number and wait for the process to finish.
- Once the Status indicate Connected, you can now begin using your RCS Messaging.
- To begin texting, click the Start Chat bubble found on the main screen.
Many mobile carriers in the US are now replacing their SMS text messaging with RCS messaging. Hopefully soon other carriers across the world will get on board.
How is your experience with RCS Messaging? Let us know in the comments below.