Google launched the RCS chat messaging service to make text messaging more engaging and lively on Android smartphones. RCS or Rich Communication Service augments user experience from the legacy SMS/MMS system. It is similar to other messaging apps but integrated with the features of SMS/MMS. You may say that it is like the iMessage iOS app used in Apple devices such as iPhone.
Features of Google’s RCS Messaging System on Android Smartphones
Instead of sending pure characters as text messages on your Android device, you can now do more with RCS Messaging. Here are some of the things you can do that are supported when using the RCS chat messaging app service on your Android phone or tablet.
- Read Receipts – SMS/MMS does not allow you to see if your recipient had seen or received your message. But with RCS Messaging, you can enable read receipts, so you know if your messages when through.
- Typing Bubbles – To add to the read receipt tool, RCS Messaging will show typing bubbles when users type a message.
- Photo and Video Sharing – Now, you can send more than a text message. If mere characters are not enough to convey what you want, you can send a photo or video in high resolution. You can also send GIFs.
- No Character Limit – It is good to know that RCS has no limit to the number of characters you send to someone.
- Larger File Sharing – RCS allows you to send large files such as Word documents or PDFs. You can send up to 105MB.
- Connects to the Internet – If you don’t have a cellular connection in your area, you can use the Internet signal to send your RCS messages.
Unfortunately, not all Android phones and tablet devices can enjoy the new RCS Messaging feature. However, you can check and determine if your Android smartphone has native support for RCS Messaging apps. See our guide below.
How to Enable & Determine if your Android Phone Supports RCS Chat Messaging Service
To check and tell if your Android phone supports RCS messaging, you need to access the Google Message app on your smartphone. Follow the steps below to determine how to enable and turn on the RCS messaging service if your phone is compatible with the newer chat messenger feature.
- Launch the Message app on your Android phone.
- On the upper right corner, tap the three-dotted icon.
- Tap Settings.
- Go to General.
- Select Chat Features.
- Look for the Enable chat features option.
- If you can toggle the button next to it, you can turn on RCS messaging on your phone. If you can’t turn on the feature, your device does not support RCS messaging.
Now, you can enjoy the features of messaging apps like WhatsApp and Facebook Messenger while using SMS/MMS reach on your smartphone. If your Android phone does not have RCS messaging feature, you can upgrade to a new Android device soon to enjoy the latest technology from Google.