Designing a poster, marketing material, or a business presentation is easier thanks to PNG images with a transparent background. The transparency does not overlap the existing color or text, making it effective to integrate your logos or images.
However, some users reported that their transparent image appears to have a black background in their PC. This happens when they open their images in File Explorer. Most of these pictures are saved in PNG format.
If you are in the same situation, you will find that there are several solutions on how to fix the black background on transparent PNG images in Windows 10. But, before you try the fixes below, make sure that your Windows File Explorer theme is not in dark mode. You should use the light theme to differentiate the background easily.
How to Remove Black Background on Transparent PNG Images in File Explorer
Method #1 – Change Your View Type
It is possible that your current view type is what causing the problem. Changing it to another view format might help bring back the transparent background.
- Click View on the menu bar.
- Click Details and select a different view type. Check your images if the background has changed.
Method #2 – Restart the File Explorer
A quick restart often helps reboots app processes and fixes any error. To restart your File Explorer, go to the Task Manager. Under Processes, click Windows Explorer. Click the Restart button found at the bottom. Now, you can check if the black background still appears.
Method #3 – Try to Save the File Again
- Open your file in your graphic editor.
- Click File and select Export.
- Select PNG and click OK to save.
- Try to open the new image file in File Explorer and see if the black background is still there.
Method #4 – Clear the Thumbnail Cache
- Open your C drive.
- Click Properties.
- Select the General tab and click Disk Cleanup.
- Check Thumbnails and click OK.
Method #5 – Perform SFC Scan
- Open Command Prompt (Admin)
- Type sfc /scannow and press Enter.
- Wait for the scan to finish and restart your computer.
Did the article help you? Drop us a comment below.STILL HAVING ISSUES? Try this tool to troubleshoot Windows errors and safely optimize system performance