Outlook is among the most popular applications for email management right now. Its users appreciate its unique but simple features, making it a favorite go-to application to perform different day-to-day tasks and access emails.
Some of its top features include Tasks, Archive, Calendar, Conversations, and of course, the much-needed Calendar Reminders.
Unfortunately, Calendar Reminders are giving a few users some serious headaches. Many Outlook users have claimed that they don’t like it when Calendar Reminders can’t be dismissed and keep popping up.
Fixes to Resolve Microsoft Outlook Calendar Reminders Can’t Be Dismissed, Keep Popping Up Issue
Just so you know, this Microsoft Outlook error occurs mainly because the reminder view or the reminders folder has been corrupted. Outlook may also fail to dismiss a reminder if a sync conflict occurs.
The good news is that you don’t need to continue to keep up with these popping and hard-to-dismiss reminders on your Outlook calendar. Here are some solutions you can try to fix the issue:
Clear Offline Items from Outlook Calendar Folder
If reminders continue to pop up and you can’t dismiss them for some reason because of a sync problem, you can go to the Calendar folder to clear all offline items to try fixing the issue. Doing so will help free the local copy of all the items.
Don’t worry because you can still download these again directly from the server.
- For this particular solution, the first thing you have to do is right-click the calendar affected by the issue.
- Choose Properties, select Clear Offline Items, and then click OK.
- These steps should remove all the items on the calendar.
- To force the download of the items, choose Send/Receive and then select Update Folder in the ribbon.
Use a Command Line to Clean Outlook Calendar Reminders
Another method you can try to get rid of Calendar Reminders on Outlook that continue to pop up and cannot be dismissed is to use a command line to delete the items in question.
- To do this, close the Outlook window first. In Windows, right-click the Start button and choose Run.
- Paste or type the command outlook.exe/cleanreminders and click Enter.
Use MFCMAPI to Delete Outlook Reminders Folder
You can also use MFCMAPI or Microsoft Exchange Server MAPI Editor to delete Outlook’s Reminders folder. Here are the steps you need to follow for this:
- Go to github to download MFCMAPI. Scroll down and select the Latest release.
- Exit the Outlook windows.
- Launch MFCMAPI.
- Click Options on the Tools menu.
- Choose the check boxes Use the MAPI_NO_CACHE flag when calling OpenEntry and Use the MDB_ONLINE flag when calling OpenMsgStore if they are not yet selected.
- Click OK.
- Select Session, choose Logon, and select the specific profile you like to change.
- Click OK and double-click the mailbox store you like to open.
- Have Root Container expanded and then right-click the folder for Reminders.
- Select Delete folder. Avoid deleting individual items in the Reminders folder, though. The Reminders folder is only a view of the calendar’s upcoming events. Deleting the items in the folder will also remove them from the calendar.
- Proceed to run the Outlook.exe /ResetFolders or Outlook.exe /cleanreminders command line. It will recreate the folder for Reminders and add back in any valid entries.
Calendar Reminders on Outlook are important but you don’t like them to be constantly popping up when they no longer serve their purpose. Follow the above tips to delete these annoying reminders.