The release of Hogwarts Legacy has done a great amount of good to fans of JK Rowling’s Wizarding World. Excitement levels are through the roof and nothing is stopping the hype train. Well, except for the enormous amount of bugs and issues plaguing the game.
If you’re a Hogwarts Legacy player dealing with the DirectX runtime error on Windows 10 or 11 computer, we’ve got you fully covered with this guide. It highlights everything you need to know about the gaming error on PC including the causes and some effective solutions for getting rid of it.
How to Troubleshoot and Fix Hogwarts Legacy DirectX Runtime Error on Windows 11 or 10 PC
The error message for this problem might state “The following component(s) are required to run this program: DirectX Runtime.”
One thing you need to watch out for is whether or not you simply need to reinstall DirectX on your Windows 10 or 11 PC. This Hogwarts Legacy game error is a bit tricky because it leads you in multiple directions without a solid answer that works as a universal solution. Follow our solutions in order of appearance to fix it faster.
Reinstall DirectX on your PC
- First, head to the following location within your PC <PATH>\Steam\steamapps\common\Steamworks Shared\_CommonRedist\DirectX
- Install the executable file in this directory and accept the requirements
- At the end of the process, you should be simply left with a fully installed version of DirectX
- Open the game to see if your problem is resolved
Run DirectX Diagnostics Tool or dxdiag
The DirectX service is actually supported with a handy command that can be run from your Windows terminal.
- Press the Windows Key + R on your keyboard
- Type in “dxdiag” and hit Enter to open the DirectX Diagnostic Tool
- Once it has opened up, check the System Tab and see the version of DirectX currently installed on your computer
- Next, go to the Display tab and you can check DirectX 3D Feature Levels along with other DirectX Features
- If you see this as a number less than DirectX version 12, the problem could be stemming from your outdated version
Download and Install GPU Drivers Update
If your DirectX Runtime Error is a consistent problem with Hogwarts Legacy, it might be a good idea to update your Graphics Driver as soon as possible.
- Go to the Windows Key + X and open the Quick Link Menu
- Open Device Manager within this list
- Select Display Adapters
- Right-click on your system’s dedicated GPU
- Select Update driver
- Choose the Search automatically for drivers option
- If an update is available, it will download and install
- Once the update is installed, restart your computer to allow the changes to take effect
Update Windows OS Build to Latest Version
If your Operating System is outdated, you may begin to encounter a plethora of issues on your device. Here’s how you can quickly use an update to get rid of your DirectX problem.
- Press Windows Key + I and open your Windows Settings
- Go to Update & Security then select Check for updates within the windows updates screen
- Go to Download and Install
- Wait for the installation to be completed
- Reboot your device to successfully apply the changes
There you have it! With the provisions of this guide, you should have no problems getting Hogwarts Legacy to successfully run on your computer.