Microsoft Office gives you access to programs like Microsoft Word, Microsoft PowerPoint, and Microsoft Excel. When you download Microsoft Office or upgrade to a new version, you may sometimes come across the activation error code 0x4004f00c.
In some cases, users encounter the error message “This copy of Microsoft Office is not activated. You have three days left to activate. (Error Code: 0x4004F00C)” when they try to open the product information window of their Microsoft Office suite.
If you see the Microsoft Office activation error code 0x4004f00c, there may be different reasons why you encounter the problem. It may be an issue with your activation process or a corrupted MS Office suite installation. Your VPN or Firewall may also block your Microsoft Office activation process.
Whatever the case may be, there are ways to repair the issue on Windows 10 PC. See the methods below.
How to Fix Microsoft Office Activation Error Code 0x4004f00c in Windows 10
The most commonly affected MS Office Suite of apps include 2013, 2016, and 2019. To troubleshoot the issue with your Microsoft Office on Windows 10, you can follow the solutions listed below.
Method #1 – Download and Use the Microsoft Office Activation Troubleshooter Tool
First, you will need to download and install the official MS Office troubleshooter tool. You can find the troubleshooter in Step 4 of Microsoft’s support page: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/unlicensed-product-and-activation-errors-in-office-0d23d3c0-c19c-4b2f-9845-5344fedc4380.
- After downloading, go to the file location.
- Open the exe / .diagcab file and follow the instructions to install the troubleshooter.
- On the Office Activation Troubleshooter, select Office.
- Run the scan to check for errors and fixes.
- Apply the fix if needed.
- After performing the troubleshooting, restart your computer.
Method #2 – Reactivate your MS Office Key
- Close all your Microsoft Office programs.
- Launch the Command Prompt.
- Click Yes to grant privileges.
- Go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft office\office15>cscript ospp.vbs /dstatus.
- Copy the currently installed product key.
- Now, go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft office\office15>cscript ospp.vbs /unpkey:“Last 5 Product key Characters”, where you need to replace “Last 5 product key characters” with the actual last 5 characters from your copied product key.
- You will see the message, “Uninstall Product key successfully.”
- Close the Command Prompt.
- Launch the Registry Editor.
- Go to HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\*Office Version*\Common\Identity\Identities, where you need to replace “Office Version” with your current Microsoft Office version.
- Look for Identity and click the identity key.
- Click Delete from the drop-down menu.
- Delete all Identity subentry.
- Close the Registry Editor.
- Now, open the Credentials Manager.
- Select Windows Credentials.
- Navigate to Generic Credentials and click an entry relating to Office 15 or 16.
- Click Remove. Do the same to all corresponding entries.
- Once done, restart your computer.
Method #3 – Run a Quick and Online Microsoft Office Repair on PC
- Launch your Control Panel.
- Go to Programs.
- Select Programs and Features.
- Right-click Office.
- Select Change.
- Choose the Quick Repair option.
- Click the Repair button.
- Check if the error is still there. If yes, select the Online Repair this time.
Method #4 – Disable Windows 10 Proxy Server or VPN
If you are using a proxy server or VPN, it may interfere with your Microsoft Office activation. Disable these servers first and try again. You can find the Proxy Server under Network & Internet in your Settings menu. Uninstall the VPN server by going to the Programs and Features.
At the same time, you can also try to disable your 3rd party firewall, if you are using one.
Which method above helped you fix the Microsoft Office activation error 0x4004F00C? We would love to know what works. You can let us know in the comments section.STILL HAVING ISSUES? Try this tool to troubleshoot Windows errors and safely optimize system performance