QR codes are everywhere. Go to the supermarket, and you will find packages with QR codes. Go to the bank, and you will see posters with these codes as well. Even when you need to get contact details from a business, they sometimes use QR codes.
To get the hang of QR codes, you need to scan them on your smartphone to get redirected to the information it contains. But, if you are new to scanning QR codes, it seems like a complicated thing to do. You might think you always need to have a third-party QR code reader app installed on your mobile device to scan it.
But, it no longer applies to Android phones and tablets. Now, you can safely scan QR codes using your Android device even without a third-party app installed. Let’s find below how you can do it below!
Scanning QR Codes Safely on your Android Phone Without Third-Party Apps Required
There are several ways to scan QR codes on your Android smartphone without having to download and install a QR scanner app from third-party developers. In this guide, we include built-in camera support for automatic QR code scanning on select Android phones, Google services, web browsers, as well as default apps from different Android device manufacturers like Samsung. You can try to do each method and see which works for you best.
Method #1 – Through your Android Phone Camera
If your smartphone has a QR code scanning support integrated within its camera app, follow these instructions to use it automatically.
- First, launch the Settings menu.
- Look for QR Code Scanning.
- Toggle it to On.
- Now, open your camera.
- Point it to a QR code until a notification appears.
Method #2 – Via Google Lens
- Activate Google Lens on your camera. If you have Google Assistant, ask Google to activate Google Lens.
- Launch your Camera app.
- Select More.
- Tap Google Lens.
- You can use it to scan QR Codes.
Method #3 – Using Samsung Galaxy Phone Camera App
If you are using a Samsung Galaxy smartphone, you can also use the default camera app to scan QR codes.
- First, launch the Camera app of your Samsung device.
- Go to the Settings menu.
- Look for Scan QR codes.
- Toggle it to On.
- Now, use your Samsung camera app to scan QR codes.
Method #4 – Through Web Browsers
- If you use the Samsung Internet browser, tap the three-diagonal line icon.
- Go to Settings.
- Tap Useful Features.
- Look for QR Code Scanner and toggle it to On.
- To scan QR codes, tap your address bar.
- Tap the QR code icon to scan.
- For other browsers, tap the address bar or the camera icon in the search option. Select Scan or Barcode.
Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox mobile browsers for Android also support QR code scanning.
Method #5 – Via Google Screen Search
- First, point your camera at the QR code.
- Press and hold the Home button and swipe up.
- Tap What’s on my screen.
- It will show the URL of the QR code.
Method #6 – Using the Gallery App for Samsung Smartphones
You can scan a QR code from an image if you are using a Samsung Android phone.
- First, take a picture of the QR code.
- Open the Gallery app.
- Select the photo of the QR code.
- At the bottom, tap Bixby Vision.
- Select Lens.
- Turn on Bixby Vision.
What’s the best method that you can do so far to easily scan a QR code without third-apps required on Android? We are curious to know! You can write to us in the comments section below.
NEED A NEW ANDROID PHONE? Check out these deals on the latest Samsung Galaxy devices at Amazon right now!