Microsoft launched the Game Mode feature to offer gamers a more stable gaming experience. Game Mode is available in Windows 10. It is useful for gamers who loved to multi-task or have several processes opened in the background.
Once Game Mode is enabled, Windows will focus on your game and you will experience a reliable frame rate on your games. It also prevents Windows Update from performing any installations and resending the notifications. While Game Mode is an excellent feature, it does not have an added effect or impact on other processes.
Lately, however, gamers seem to experience otherwise. More and more gamers are complaining about encountering poorer frame rates, stutters and freezes in their games.
Here we will discuss your options to enable or disable the Game Mode feature in Windows 10. Game Mode is enabled on Windows 10 by default. However, if you want to keep it enabled but turned off for the meantime, you can simply turn it off in Settings. You can turn it back on anytime.
Here are your options.
How to Turn On or Off Game Mode in Settings App
- Open Settings.
- Click Gaming and select Game Mode.
- On the right side, toggle the option to Off.
If you want to disable the Game Mode feature and not just turn it off, you will need to perform the process using the Registry Editor.
How to Enable or Disable Game Mode for All Apps
- Open the Registry Editor. You can also press Windows key + R to open the Run dialog box and type regedit. Press Enter.
- Go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\GameBar.
- Look for AllowAutoGameMode found on the right side of the window. If you cannot find it, you can create the key. Right-click on the panel and click New. Select DWORD (32-bit) Value and rename the new key to AllowAutoGameMode.
- Once you have the AllowAutoGameMode key set the value to 0 to disable the feature.
- Restart your computer.
Enable or Disable Game Mode on a Specific App
If you only have to disable or enable the Game Mode feature for a specific app, it is also possible.
- Open the app.
- Press the Windows keys + G. This will open the Game bar. If you encounter a question, click Yes.
- Click the gear icon to open the settings.
- Navigate to General.
- To enable Game Mode, check Use game mode for this game. Uncheck the option to disable it.
That’s it! Now, you have the option to turn on or off your Game Mode however you like it. Do you prefer the Game Mode enabled or disabled? Tell us in the comments below.