Windows users love the convenience of using the drag-and-drop feature when navigating through their computer files. By only dragging a file or image and dropping it to the Taskbar or a different location, it makes tasks easier and faster to accomplish.
Unfortunately, there have been complaints from Windows 11 PC users about not finding the dragging and dropping feature on their new device. If you have updated your Windows OS from 10 to 11, you will notice that dragging and dropping files does not work anymore.
While users find it an issue and a Windows bug, it may not always be the case. According to Microsoft, the drag and drop function is not available on Windows 11 computers. Microsoft was quoted with this statement, “Currently, dragging a file onto an app in the taskbar to open it in that app is not supported in Windows 11, but we appreciate all your feedback, and we’ll continue to use it to help guide the future of features like this.”
How to Troubleshoot & Fix Windows 11 Drag and Drop Taskbar Tool for Files Does Not Work
It is disappointing not to use one of the most helpful features on Windows operating system. For some users, reverting to Windows 10 may be a good way to go. If your drag-and-drop feature is still available but experiencing errors on your Windows 11 computer, you can try the solutions below.
Solution #1 – End the App Task on the Task Manager
- Click the Start button.
- Select Task Manager.
- Look for the problematic app and right-click on it.
- Select End Task.
Solution #2 – Install Updates on your Windows 11 PC
- Click the Windows button.
- Navigate to Settings.
- Select Windows Update.
- Click Check for Updates.
- Click Restart Now.
Solution #3 – Perform SFC and DISM Scans
- Click the Windows button.
- Search for PowerShell.
- Click Run as administrator.
- Enter the following command: sfc / scannow.
- After completing the scan, enter the following command: DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth.
Several Workarounds to Get Drag and Drop Function on your Windows 11 PC
However, there are also workarounds that you can do as an alternative to the drag-and-drop feature on Windows 11 computers.
Method #1- Use the Alt+Tab Keys Keyboard Shortcut on PC
- Select the file that you want to drag and drop.
- Click and hold the left button of your mouse while dragging the file.
- Continue to hold the left button of your mouse and press the Alt+Tab keys.
- Continue to hold the Alt key while pressing the Tab key repeatedly to browse through the apps.
- Once you find the app location, release both the Alt and Tab keys.
- Now, release the left button of your mouse to drop the file.
Method #2 – Cut and Paste Files
- Navigate to your file location and look for your file.
- Right-click on it.
- Select Cut.
- Head over to the destination folder.
- Right-click anywhere on the window.
- Select Paste.
Method #3 – Use Split Screen to Drag and Drop Files on Windows 11
- Launch the current location of your file.
- Now, open in another window the destination of your file.
- Arrange both windows side by side on your screen.
- Click and hold the file you want to drag and drop.
- Drag it to the destination folder and release it to drop it.
Method #4 – Edit it via Registry
- Press the Windows key + R to open Run Dialog Box.
- Enter regedit.
- Click Yes.
- Go to the following path: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Shell \Update\Packages.
- Right-click on an empty space.
- Select NEW > Dword (32-bit) Value.
- Enter the following name: UndockingDisabled.
- Double-click the folder.
- Set the Value Data to 1.
- Click OK.
Was the article helpful? You can tell us in the comment section below.BLACK FRIDAY 2022: Check out these can’t be missed trending deals for Black Friday 2022.