It is easy to read books at any time of the day thanks to e-readers. You can download several books in your readers and anytime you need to wait or have the need to rest, the e-books are ready.
Kindle e-readers make it convenient for readers to access their favorite books without the need of carrying a huge bulk. But, to improve the performance of your e-reader, software updates are available to add more features to your device. These free updates are enhancements done by Amazon and may even include fixes to bugs and issues in the previous versions.
Software updates on Kindle ebook reading devices are automatically downloaded and installed on the device. However, if you think you missed an update and feel the need to download and install the software updates manually, you can follow the steps below.
How to Update the Software or Firmware on your Kindle E-Reader Manually
To update the firmware on your Kindle e-reader to the latest version, you will need to use your computer to download the software installer. Make sure you have a good Internet connection to properly download the updates.
On Your Computer Browser
- Using any browser, go to https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=GKMQC26VQQMM8XSW.
- Now, know the Kindle e-reader model you are using. On the website, you will see a list of Kindle models. Look for your device model.
- On the right side, click Download Software Update. If you want to know more about the software update that you will download, select View Release Notes. You will find the version of the update and the date it was released. You will also see the features and improvements that you will get when you install the version.
- After you have downloaded the file, turn on your Kindle device.
- Using your Kindle’s charging cable, connect your Kindle device to your computer.
- Open your Kindle drive.
- Look for the software update file and drag it to your Kindle drive.
- Wait for the transfer to finish.
- Now, you can safely eject your Kindle device from your computer and disconnect the charging cable.
On Your Kindle E-Reader
- Open to the Home page.
- Tap the Menu icon.
- Select Settings.
- Tap the Menu icon again.
- Select “Update Your Kindle”.
- Tap OK to start installing the update.
- Wait for the process to finish.
- Once done, your Kindle e-reader will restart.
- Now, plug in your device to charge. Allow it to charge overnight for the books to index.
DON’T MISS: Latest Kindle Book Deals on Amazon Right Now!
Note: Amazon has ended support for the 7th generation Kindle Paperwhite 3. It was one of Amazon’s most successful e-readers. The last running firmware version on this device is 5.12.2.
Installing software updates to your Kindle device will make it more efficient and perform better. Was the article helpful? Let us know in the comments below.
UPDATE: Amazon clarified that it is still supporting the Kindle Paperwhite 3. They are currently working on a fix to a bug that prevents the update system from working properly. And a new firmware update is rolling out soon.