Now, what if you want to play Steam games? Steam is a gaming distribution platform where you can play trending games like Far Cry, Inquisitor, Grand Theft, Star Dynasties, and more. You can run Steam on Linux, macOS, and Windows. But what about on Chrome OS?
Can You Play Steam Games on a Chromebook?
The answer is yes! You can download, install, and play Steam games on Chromebook. However, there are certain requirements before you can start accessing the Steam platform on Google’s Chrome OS. Unfortunately, you will have to go through a workaround since Steam does not have a native Chrome OS app readily available for Chromebook users.
How to Download, Install & Run Stream Games on Chromebooks
First, you will need to check if your Chromebook has functions that can run Steam games. For instance, your Chromebook model must be able to handle and support Linux or Android apps. Also, your Chromebook needs to have a higher processor specifications of at least Intel i5 in order to run Steam games smoothly.
Some examples of Chromebooks that you can use to play Steam games are:
- Google Pixelbook Go (View at Amazon | View at Walmart | View at Best Buy)
- Lenovo IdeaPad Flex 5i Chromebook (View at Lenovo.com | View at Amazon | View at Walmart | View at Best Buy)
- Acer Chromebook Spin 514 (View at Acer.com | View at Amazon | View at Walmart | View at Best Buy)
- HP Chromebook x360 14 (View at HP.com | View at Amazon | View at Walmart | View at Best Buy)
- Asus Chromebook Flip (View at Asus.com | View at Amazon | View at Walmart | View at Best Buy)
- Samsung Galaxy Chromebook (View at Samsung.com | View at Amazon | View at Walmart | View at Best Buy)
There are several ways how you can download, install and play Steam games on Chromebook.
Solution #1 – Use the Steam Link Android App to Access Steam Games on Chrome OS
- Launch the Google Play Store.
- Search for Steam Link. The developer’s name is Valve Corporation.
- Click the Install button.
- Open the Steam Link app.
- Sign in to your Steam Account.
- Now, you can pair your Chromebook with a compatible controller.
- Start playing your game.
Solution #2 – Installing Steam on Chromebook as a Linux App
- First, enable the Linux apps on your Chromebook.
- Launch the System Tray on your Chromebook.
- Select Settings.
- Look for the Linux (Beta).
- Beside the Linux box, select Turn On.
- Click Install.
- Now, you can install Steam games.
- On the Linux terminal window, type the following: echo ‘deb http://httpredir.debian.org/debian/ jessie main contrib non-free’ | sudo tee -a /etc.
- The Linux terminal window will appear after you click the Install button. However, if it does not appear, press the keys Shift + Ctrl + T together.
- Now, type the following: sudo dpkg –add-architecture i386.
- Next, enter this command: sudo apt update.
- Lastly, type sudo apt install steam.
- It will finish the installation.
Do you have other ways how you can download and play Steam games on your Chromebook? We would love to learn more solutions, so feel free to share them below.