There are different reasons why you need to factory reset your Amazon Alexa device. You may plan to give it to a friend or want to change your device. Resetting your Amazon Alexa device will delete all your customized settings and information. It is best to reset your device if you are giving it to someone else.
There are two ways to reset your Amazon Alexa device to factory settings. Whether you are using the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, or 4th generation of Echo and Echo Dot or the Echo Show smart display, you can follow the steps below.
Factory Reset Amazon Echo Show, Echo, and Echo Dot Alexa Smart Speaker Devices
The first way to reset your Amazon Alexa speakers is through the device itself. Look for the Amazon Alexa device that you have at home. You can factory reset your Echo Show smart display and your 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th generation Echo and Echo Dot smart speakers.
Reset Your Amazon Echo Show
- Navigate to the Settings menu.
- Go to Device Options.
- Choose Reset to Factory Defaults.
If you are giving your Echo Show smart display to someone else, do not click the option, Reset to Factory Defaults, but retain Smart Home Device Connections.
Reset Your 1st Generation Amazon Echo and Echo Dot
- At the base of your device, you will see the Reset button, which is a small hole.
- Using a paper clip or anything similar, press the Reset button and hold until you see the orange light and then the blue light.
- The light ring will turn off and then on, stopping at orange. Your Amazon Alexa device is ready for setup.
Reset Your 2nd Generation Echo and Echo Dot
- Look for the microphone off and the volume down button on your Amazon Alexa device. Press and hold both buttons until you will see the orange light and then the blue light.
- The light ring will turn off and on until it is orange. It is now in setup mode.
Reset Your 3rd and 4th Generation Amazon Echo and Echo Dot
- Look for the Action button on your device.
- Press and hold it for half a minute until you will see the orange light. Then it will turn into the blue light.
- The light ring will turn off and on until it becomes orange for the setup mode.
How to Factory Reset Amazon Alexa Device using the Alexa App
Another way to factory reset your Amazon Alexa device settings is to go to your Alexa app on your mobile phone.
- Launch the Alexa app on your phone.
- At the bottom of the screen, tap the Devices button.
- Choose Echo & Alexa.
- Select your Amazon Alexa device.
- Look for the option Device is Registered to.
- Select Deregister.
- Tap Deregister again.
Which Amazon Alexa device are you resetting? What are your reasons? You can share your story with us in the comments section.