Have you ever needed to send a PDF file or document to someone, but there are bits of information you need to hide? Usually, this ends up being things like bank details or personal data you’d rather people not know. When this happens, you need to redact everything manually, and it’s a cumbersome process. Surely, there’s an easier way to do this, right?
Well, we’re happy to tell you that, yes, there is an easier way to do it, and that’s through Apple Preview app on Mac including iMac, Mac Mini as well as MacBook Pro and MacBook Air devices. Not many people know about this, even those who use Apple Preview very often.
Nobody discusses or uses it, which is why we’ve made this little guide teaching you how to use this feature. Just follow the steps we’ve provided below, and you’ll be ready to send those PDF files in no time!
Securely & Easily Redacting PDF File Content Using Apple Preview App on Mac
Although this functionality is naturally built into Apple Preview app, it’s only on macOS versions after Big Sur. If you’re behind in macOS updates, you’ll want to update your desktop before proceeding with the upcoming steps.
You can do this by going to the software updates section of your macOS desktop or laptop device, if you have a supported computer, and simply accepting the latest update. From there, just follow the steps below.
Using the Apple Preview Redact Tool Through Markup Mode
- Before you start, save a backup copy of the file you want to edit to preserve the original.
- Open the PDF file you want to edit in Apple Preview.
- Look for the Markup button in the top right corner of your display. The icon is a small pen in a circle, and it should be right next to your search button.
- In Markup mode, click the Redact tool in the top bar. It should be the third icon from the left.
- A message should pop up informing you that redacting permanently deletes information. Click on OK.
- Now, drag your cursor over the text you would like to redact. The text should become black with hash marks over it.
- Once you’ve redacted all the necessary information, save the file to complete the changes.
- Your file is now safe to send to anyone.
With that, we’ve reached the end of this guide. We hope we helped you get all your important, sensitive information redacted. It’s pretty simple, though many aren’t aware of the redaction tool because it’s buried deep in Markup mode.
For more simple guides and fixes like this, stay tuned.