One of the advantages of being in one computer ecosystem is seamless integration among apps and services. For Windows users, syncing your Microsoft Teams and Sharepoint files to OneDrive through the OneDrive sync app is easy.
If your organization is using Microsoft 365 with a business subscription you can sync your SharePoint Server 2019 or Microsoft Teams files to a folder on your computer.
With this feature, you won’t have to download and upload your files whenever you need to. You can work directly from Mac Finder or Windows File Explorer.
Not only that, but you can also access these files whenever you are offline. Like any cloud-based technology, your changes will be synced automatically when you get online. Microsoft has put in place a reliable system to deal with conflicting file versions.
Here’s how to set up the OneDrive sync app to work with your SharePoint and Teams files.
How to Set up OneDrive to Sync your Microsoft SharePoint and Teams Files
- Select SharePoint or Teams on the Microsoft 365 app launcher.
- Then select the files you want to sync by navigating to the subfolder.
- Select Sync. (Only done once, the app syncs automatically afterward)
- Click OK when your browser asks for permission to use Microsoft OneDrive.
- Note: If you see a message that says “Which library do you want to sync?” it means that you are not set up to sync with OneDrive yet. You need to ask the IT admin for your organization to set this up for you.
- After that, the files will automatically sync to a folder on your PC or Mac. The folder has the name of your organization (something like %userprofile%\Contoso).
- If you need to sync the files on another computer you need to do the process from step one again.
This is a helpful feature especially if you tend to jump from one file to another using Microsoft SharePoint or Microsoft Teams. Just make sure to avoid opening a file that is being used as a real-time collaboration from your Finder or File Explorer. OneDrive will automatically lock the file until you are done which means that other users can’t work on it.