We have discussed how crucial it is to update the firmware on your Vizio soundbar. You can enjoy the maximum benefits that your sound system can offer with the latest features and integrations that an updated device software can bring.
We have talked about how easy it is to update your soundbar firmware using the Vizio SmartCast mobile app in the previous post. By using the app provided by Vizio, it will enable your sound bar to connect to the Internet through WiFi. Then, updating the firmware will be a breeze once that is in place.
However, there will be instances when the easiest method seems to be the hardest one to accomplish. Sometimes, the automatic firmware update just won’t get through, and your device is stuck while updating. In some other situations, the “Check for updates” button also does not work or does not show up in the options menu.
Whatever the case may be, you can always get your hands a little dirty by updating your sound bar firmware manually. Good thing, Vizio made the manual process straight forward, and it’s not as complicated as you might think. All you need is a computer, an Internet connection, and a USB flash drive to install the latest firmware to your Vizio soundbar.
How to Check the Current Firmware Version on your Vizio Soundbar
The first thing you should do is to check the current version of the firmware installed in your Vizio soundbar. You will need this information to counter-check later if indeed you need a software update. Follow these steps:
- Use the Vizio SmartCast Mobile app. You can check the firmware version using the SmartCast Mobile app. Just go to the sound bar’s menu inside the app by selecting Settings (Gear Icon) > System, then go to System Information.
- You can also check your current firmware version by simultaneously pressing and holding the volume (+) and volume (-) buttons on the Sound Bar. The front LED lights on the sound bar will blink to indicate the version or it may speak the version number.
How to Download the Latest Firmware Update for your Vizio Sound Bar
To download the latest version of the device software for your specific Vizio soundbar model, follow this method:
- Go to the official Vizio support page for sound bars at https://support.vizio.com/s/?language=en_US.
- Enter the model number of your Vizio sound bar.
- When an update is available, it will show up in the search results.
- The download link will be indicated in the support article.
- Just click download to get the latest version of the firmware.
Installing Firmware Update on Vizio Sound Bar Manually
- Extract the .zip file you downloaded from the Vizio support website.
- You will need to use an empty USB flash drive with at least 2GB of storage space formatted in FAT format.
- Copy the extracted files to the root directory of your USB drive. Don’t put the update files inside a folder.
- Power on your soundbar and place it on input with no audio coming from it.
- Next, insert the USB flash drive into the indicated slot on your soundbar’s back portion.
- Two flashing lights will initially show up on your sound bar indicating that the firmware update is in progress.
- More lights will start flashing as the update progresses.
- Once the update is done, the flashing lights will stop and your sound bar will turn back on.
Please note that the update can take up to 15 minutes to get done so make sure that your soundbar is connected to a stable power source during that time to avoid interruptions. Manually turning the power on or off on your soundbar is also not recommended.
You can verify if the latest version of the firmware is installed by doing the process mentioned above.