Microsoft is continually upgrading its Surface computing devices to give its users an upgraded and better experience. With each new firmware update, there is more improvement and even fixes to previous issues.
If you want to update the firmware of your Microsoft Surface Book or Surface Laptop, check out the steps below.
How to Check Your Surface Computer Device Model
Before you can start downloading your firmware updates, you need to know first the model of your Surface device. It will help you download the right updates needed specifically for your Microsoft Surface Laptop or Book.
To know your Surface device, go to the taskbar and on the search, type Surface. Click the Surface app. Select Your Surface. Now, take note of the device model that you have.
You also have to take note of the Windows version and build you are currently using. That way, you can download the latest update or you can check if you are now using the updated firmware.
- From the Start button, navigate to Settings.
- Go to System and click About.
- You will find the version and build number of your operating system. When you are want to update to the latest firmware, compare the version and build number.
Updating Firmware on Microsoft Surface Book and Laptop
There are two ways you can check your Surface Book and Laptop for updates.
Via Windows Update
- Click Start and go to Settings.
- Select Update & security.
- Click Windows Update.
- Click the Check for updates button. Available updates will be automatically installed.
- Restart your Surface Book or Laptop.
Via Microsoft Download Center
If you know your Surface model device, you can check on the Microsoft Download Center for available updates specifically for your Surface Book or Laptop.
- On your browser, go to Microsoft.com.
- Click the Search icon and type your Surface device model + firmware update. For example, Surface Laptop 3 firmware update.
- To directly go to the firmware download, click the links below:
- Surface Book 3 – https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=101315
- Surface Book 2 – https://www.microsoft.com/download/details.aspx?id=56261
- Surface Book – https://www.microsoft.com/download/details.aspx?id=49497
- Surface Laptop 3 with Intel Processor – https://www.microsoft.com/download/details.aspx?id=100429
- Surface Laptop 3 with AMD Processor – https://www.microsoft.com/download/details.aspx?id=100428
- Surface Laptop 2 – https://www.microsoft.com/download/details.aspx?id=57515
- Surface Laptop (1st Gen) – https://www.microsoft.com/download/details.aspx?id=55489
- Click the Download button to start installing the firmware update.
- Restart your Surface Laptop or Book.
Was the article helpful? Let us know in the comments below.