Connecting from one device to another is nothing new in today’s technology. That being said, it is not a novelty to connect devices wirelessly like Bluetooth. Now, people are talking about a new kind of connecting devices, the Wi-Fi Direct. It creates a peer-to-peer Wi-Fi connection wirelessly.
What is Wi-Fi Direct?
If you have been using Bluetooth, Wi-Fi Direct works with the same concept. Wi-Fi Direct allows communication and linking of devices without the use of a wireless router. Users can share their files and listen to music using only wireless headphones.
The huge advantage of using WiFi Direct is transferring information even when your Wi-Fi network is down or you do not have any network connection. Users do not need to have a Wi-Fi network for devices to connect. There is not need to connect to a central network or a hub to share files from multiple devices. There will be one device to act as the access point for other devices to connect using WPS and WPA/WPA2.
Users are not required to log in or enter a Wi-Fi password to connect the devices.
How is It Different from Bluetooth?
While Wi-Fi-Direct and Bluetooth does work the same, there are still differences between the two. WiFi Direct can handle more information than Bluetooth. It works at higher speeds in optimal condition. You can transfer or send files faster via WiFi Direct.
What Are the Uses of Wi-Fi Direct?
Sharing of Files
As mentioned above, you can share files from one device to another using Wi-Fi Direct even without a network connection. You can even share files from your phone to your computer.
If you want a speedy syncing of information, Wi-Fi Direct can make it happen. You can quickly update your media.
No Required Addition Hardware
Since Wi-Fi Direct connects wirelessly, there is no need for any additional hardware to use WiFi Direct.
Hardware Peripherals Can Communicate Using WiFi Direct
If you need to connect to a wireless printer, Wi-Fi Direct can remotely connect without the need of a wireless network. It can also communicate with other peripherals like the keyboard and mouse.
Screencasting and Screensharing
Now, it is easier to share your screen with other people using Wi-Fi Direct. You can cast or share your screen when palying games or showing your digital photos.
How to Check if Your Device is Compatible to Wi-Fi Direct?
There are several devices that are now compatible with Wi-Fi Direct. To check your device’s compatibility, here are the steps:
- Go to the Command Prompt and open it in the Administrator Mode.
- In the box, type ipconfig /all and press Enter.
- In the list, look for Microsoft Wi-Fi Direct Virtual Adapter. If you find it, your device is supporting Wi-Fi Direct.
How to Use WiFi Direct?
Using Wi-Fi Direct On Android
- First, turn on your Wi-Fi Direct.
- Go to Settings and click Connections.
- Next, choose Wi-Fi and click on Wi-Fi Direct. It will then scan for devices to connect to.
Using Wi-Fi Direct On iPhone
- Open your iPhone Settings.
- Click Wi-Fi and toggle to turn on.
- Look for the device to connect to. It will appear with the name Direct-name of the device.
- Tap on the device and enter the WPA key or password that is shown on the other device.
- Click Join to connect.
Using Wi-Fi Direct On PC
- First, go to the Settings of the device you want to connect to.
- Then, click on Network and Internet.
- Choose Manage Wi-Fi Settings.
- Look for the Wi-Fi Direct alternative.
- Enable the Wi-Fi Direct and take note of the network name and password.
- On the Search bar of your comptuter, type Wireless and look for Manage Wireless Networks. Click to Open.
- Click Add and look for the device you want to connect to. Enter the password to connect.
Wi-Fi Direct offers an efficient solution to device connection. However, as the technology is still working its way up, it may not be as smooth in process as we expect it to be. Still, Wi-Fi Direct will be an essential tool that people will rely on in the future.
What do you think of Wi-Fi Direct? Let us know in the comments below.