It is not unusual to encounter errors when you launch an application such as Microsoft Teams on a Mac computer or Windows 10 PC. However, it can be frustrating to see an issue with the app if you are in a hurry to get to your video meetings or team group chats. One of the common problems users face is the Microsoft Teams error code 500.
Microsoft Teams error code 500 won’t allow you to login or sign in to your account. Instead, it will give you the error message, “D’oh! Something went wrong… Restart. Error code-500. Failed to reach: http://teams.microsoft.com/“
Fixing Microsoft Teams Error Code 500 Sign in Issue on Mac Computer or Windows 10 PC
There are different reasons why you see the error code 500 on Microsoft Teams. It can be a problem with your network connection. Your Microsoft Teams app itself is having an issue. There may be corrupted cache data in your Microsoft Teams app. This same error can also occur when using the Microsoft Teams website through your web browser on macOS or Windows 10. Users of Microsoft Edge or Google Chrome browser often experience the problem.
Whatever the cause of the Microsoft Teams error code 500 you are experiencing, there are ways to troubleshoot the issue and fix it. See the solutions that we have curated below.
Solution #1 – Restart your Microsoft Teams App
The first thing you can do to resolve the error code 500 is to restart the dedicated Microsoft Teams app for your desktop or laptop computer. Exit your Microsoft Teams app. You can also End Task through Task Manager on Windows 10 PC or Force Quit the app on Mac computer. Leave it for a few seconds before relaunching your Microsoft Teams desktop app. Try again.
Solution #2 – Sign Out and Sign Back In
This method will work on both the Microsoft Teams app or website.
- On the top of the app screen, click your profile or the Microsoft Teams name.
- Select Sign out or Quit Microsoft Teams.
- Now, relaunch the app.
- Sign in to your account.
Solution #3 – Clear Microsoft Teams App Credential Cache on Mac or PC
Windows 10 PC
- Open the Control Panel.
- Go to User Accounts.
- Select Credential Manager.
- Now, clear the credential cache.
- Reboot your Microsoft Teams app.
- On the System tray, right-click the Microsoft Teams app.
- Log out of your account.
- Restart Microsoft Teams app.
- Sign in to your account.
- Exit the app by selecting Quit when you right-click on the Teams icon in the macOS Dock.
- Now, launch the Finder and go to the Go menu from the toolbar.
- And then, choose Go to folder.
- You can also just hit Shift+CMD+G on your keyboard.
- Then, in the search box provided, enter ~/Library/Application Support/Microsoft and click the Go button.
- Highlight the Teams folder in the resulting Finder window and drag it to the Trash.
- Now, launch the Keychain app and choose Keychain Access.
- Clear or remove everything under the Microsoft Teams Identity cache entries.
- To fully complete the process, you need to restart your Mac.
- Once done rebooting, launch the MS Teams app again and try to sign in to your account.
- Check if the error code 500 is still there.
Solution #4 – Repair Microsoft Office on Windows 10
- Navigate to the Control Panel.
- Select Programs.
- Go to Programs and Features.
- Look for the Microsoft Office that you want to repair and select it.
- Click Change at the top of the screen.
- Select Quick Repair.
- Click the Repair button.
- Now, check if it helps resolve the error. If not, follow the same process but this time, select Online Repair.
Solution #5 – Reinstall Microsoft Teams Desktop App
Windows 10 PC
- In the Control Panel, go to Programs.
- Select Programs and Features.
- Highlight Microsoft Teams.
- Click Uninstall.
- Now, on your browser, go to https://teams.microsoft.com/downloads.
- Click Download Teams.
- Select Save File.
- Install the Microsoft Teams app.
iMac or MacBook Computer
- Uninstall the Microsoft Teams app by dragging it to the Trash.
- Restart your iMac or MacBook computer.
- Now, launch the App Store and download MS Teams app from there.
- After reinstalling the app, log in to your account.
Do you have other methods that will troubleshoot and fix the Microsoft Teams error code 500 problem? You can share them below in the comment section.BLACK FRIDAY 2022: Check out these can’t be missed trending deals for Black Friday 2022.