Subtitles and closed captions are helpful when you want to understand all the words and sounds that you hear in a movie or if you are watching a show from another language. In HBO Max, users can enable or disable the subtitle any time they want.
Difference between Subtitles and Closed Captions
We may interchange subtitles and closed captions but they are two different things. We see subtitles as translations to a movie with a foreign language.
For example, a Spanish movie may have English subtitles for the audience to understand and know more information.
Closed captions, on the other hand, are text translations of the audio. It translates the sounds you hear when watching a movie or show. Subtitles are already added to the movie and often cannot be changed. Closed captions, however, can be turned on or off.
How to Enable or Disable Subtitles and Closed Captions on HBO Max
It is easy to turn on or off closed captions if you are streaming on HBO Max. But, the process may be different from all devices.
Find your device below and follow the steps to enable or disable HBO Max CC in no time.
On your Amazon Fire TV
- Play a movie that you want to watch.
- While playing, press the Play/Pause button on your remote control.
- Select On and click the middle button to enable closed captions.
On the HBO Website
- If you are watching HBO Max on your computer, just hover your mouse over the movie you are playing.
- Next, look for the CC button and click to open.
- Select On to enable closed captions.
On Apple TV
- Swipe down on your remote while playing the movie.
- Swipe right and click Subtitles.
- Now, click On to enable.
On Samsung Smart TV
- Using your remote, press the Down button to navigate the menu on your Samsung Smart TV.
- Click the CC button and select On to enable captions.
On Roku TV
- Look for the Star button on your Roku remote and click to open the menu.
- Select Settings and choose Closed Captioning.
- You have three options when you want to enable the captions. Click On Always if you want the captions to appear at all times. Click On Mute when you want the captions to appear when the audio is muted. Click On Replay when you want the captions to appear when you press replay.
On your Smartphone
- Tap the screen while the video is playing.
- Click the CC button and select On.
Did this article help you? Tell us in the comments below.