Updating your Microsoft Office 365 suite apps will help improve their overall performance. It will also install new and added features that will make your experience smooth and more convenient. It ushers in more productivity for your school or work-related tasks. With every update, there are security patches that fix bugs and other problems found from the previous version.
Still, some users on Windows 10 PC or macOS computer reported that they encounter errors when they try to perform an update for Microsoft Office 365 app package. Today we will be talking about MS Office update error codes 30038-28, 30088-28, and 30016-29. The complete error message says:
“Something went wrong
We’re sorry, we ran into a problem while downloading updates for Office. Please check your network connection and try again later.
Error Code: 30038-28 / 30088-28 / 30016-29″
There are different reasons why you may encounter one of the Microsoft Office 365 error codes during an app upgrade of your Office package. It can be due to your Internet network connection or interruption from your firewall or antivirus software. There may be corrupted system files or pre-existing versions of the Office app that might be in conflict with the update. In some cases, you may not have uninstalled the previous version completely causing issues on the upgrade process.
Fixing Microsoft Office 365 Update Error Code 30038-28, 30088-28 or 30016-29 on Mac or PC
Fortunately, there are several ways you can resolve and fix the Microsoft Office 365 package update error code 30038-28, 30088-28, or 30016-29 on Windows 10 PC or Mac computer. Check out each of the solutions listed below and follow the steps one at a time. After doing so, try to update your Microsoft Office again and see if it works.
Solution #1 – Power Cycle your Devices
- Turn off your computer and unplug your router and modem.
- Wait for at least 1 minute before plugging them back.
- Connect to the Internet and turn on your computer.
- It will refresh your computer’s processes and Internet connection.
Solution #2 – Disable your Windows Firewall
- Launch the Control Panel.
- Click System and Security.
- Select Windows Defender Firewall.
- On the left side, click Turn Windows Firewall on or off.
- Look for Turn off Windows Firewall (not recommended). Click the button next to it.
- Click OK.
Solution #3 – Perform an SFC Scan
- On the Search bar, enter cmd.
- Look for cmd.exe and right-click on it.
- Click Run as administrator.
- If prompted with the User Account Control, click Choose yes.
- Enter SFC /scannow.
Solution #4 – Remove Temporary Files
- Press Windows+E to open This PC window.
- Go to Windows (C:).
- Select Windows.
- Look for the Temp folder and click to open it.
- Select all files and delete them all.
Solution #5 – Run the Office Repair Tool
- Open the Control Panel.
- Go to Programs.
- Select Programs and Features.
- Look for Microsoft Office.
- Select Change.
- Choose Quick Repair.
- Click the Repair button.
- If it does not work, follow the same steps above but select Online Repair.
Solution #6 – Reinstall Microsoft Office
- Go to the Control Panel.
- Select Programs.
- Choose Programs and Features.
- Look for Microsoft Office.
- Select Uninstall.
- Now, you can install a new Microsoft Office suite.
Do you have other methods to help fix the Microsoft Office update error codes 30038-28, 30088-28, and 30016-29? You can share them below.STILL HAVING ISSUES? Try this tool to troubleshoot Windows errors and safely optimize system performance