People who moved to Google Meet from Zoom are missing one of the good things about their previous video calling platform. The grid view or the gallery layout is a Zoom feature where you can see most of the call participants on one screen.
The Zoom grid view allows users to see 49 meeting participants in a one-screen layout. However, when users moved to Google Meet due to the security concerns that’s been hounding Zoom, they can’t do similar action.
For starters, Google Meet only allows 16 out of the 250 participants to be viewed in a tiled layout on one screen. But, thankfully there are workarounds that we can utilize to make that Zoom-like grid layout happen in Google Meet.
How to Enable Grid View in Google Meet for the Web
Use the Google Meet Tiled Layout Feature
As we have mentioned above, Google Meet allows 16 participants to be viewed in a tiled layout. But it’s not enabled by default. You have to enable the tiled layout in order to use it. Here’s how to do it.
- First, you need to join a Google Meet meeting to make the settings available.
- Click on the three-dot icon at the bottom of the meeting screen.
- Select Change layout from the menu.
- The service is set by default to Auto layout.
- Click on Tiled as your layout to view up to 16 meeting participants on your screen.
Use the Google Meet Grid View Chrome Extension
The Google Meet Grid View Chrome extension fills the gap between Zoom and Google Meet in this area. One installed, the extension allows users to have a grid view layout with all the meeting participants on one screen.
The Grid View extension for Google Meet can be personalized such as making your own video to show instead or highlight the box of the user who’s actively speaking as well as hide the participants who don’t have video feeds.
If you are using another browser, fret not, the Google Meet Grid View extension can be installed on any Chromium-based browser. That means every browser except for Firefox.
How to Install Google Meet Grid View Extension
- Visit the Google Meet Grid View extension page here.
- Click on Add to Chrome button
- Select ‘Add extension’ to confirm
Once done, your new Google Meet extension will show up on the top right corner of your browser screen alongside your other extensions.
How to Use Install Google Meet Grid View Extension
- Open Google Meet on your browser and join a meeting.
- You will notice a new Grid button on the left corner of the People button on the top right corner once the meeting is live.
- Click on the Grid button.
- Check the ‘Enable grid view by default’ option to regroup all your video feeds into a grid form.
That’s it. If you want, you can still configure the extension settings further to suit your style and make your Google Meet video conference experience better.