HBO Max has a robust library of movies for both adults and kids. Managing profiles for different users is easy which gives you the ability to limit and control the content available for them.
The best way to make sure that your kids are only given options for content that are appropriate to their ages is to set up a Kid profile. HBO Max has a pretty solid parental control option available for parents like in Disney Plus or Netflix.
How to Create a Kid Profile on HBO Max
Here is how you can create a Kid profile for your child and set up parental controls on HBO Max.
- Select the Profile icon and then choose Switch Profiles.
- Choose + Add Kid on the ‘Who is Watching’ screen. Add a PIN, if you haven’t added one yet.
- Type in the name and birth date of the child (just the month and year), select a color and then choose Next.
- In this section, you can set the content ratings that your child can watch. The profile cannot watch any movies and shows with content ratings above what you set.
- Ratings for Movies: G, PG, PG-13, R, NC-17
- Ratings for Television Shows: TV-Y, TV-Y7, TV-G, TV-PG, TV-14, TV-MA
- Hit save once customizations are done.
Some things to note about the Kid profile on HBO Max:
- HBO Max will add default selections based on the birth date you entered.
- Your child cannot switch to another profile without your PIN by default.
- You can set up to five user profiles, including Adult profiles, and will be allowed to stream max of three streams simultaneously.
- HBO Max will follow the device-level parental controls if your device has parental controls in place that are more restrictive than the content ratings you set above.
- It is also important to note that HBO Max doesn’t follow parental controls that you have set with your TV provider.
How to Keep Kids from Switching Profiles in HBO Max
The default settings of a Kid profile restricts them from switching profiles without your PIN. You can easily change your PIN by going to the Settings and then Parental Controls.
HBO Max has also made sure that if the last profile used was a Kids profile; they will only see the Kids Home screen instead of the “Who is Watching” screen that an Adult profile sees. This feature also eliminates the option for your child to switch to another profile.
How to Disable PIN when Switching Profiles for Older Kids on HBO Max
If you have older kids who are more responsible enough to be allowed to choose what they want to watch, you can turn off the PIN prompt when switching profiles. Here’s how to do it:
- Select the Profile icon.
- Then, choose Switch Profiles.
- Go to Manage Profiles.
- Choose your child’s profile, the ones with the lock icons.
- Choose Edit Age and Parental Controls.
- Remove the checkmark next to the Require PIN to switch profiles.
- Hit Save.
That’s it! With the parental control options that HBO Max has in place for users with little ones, you can be sure that you only serve age-appropriate entertainment for your kids.