With so many files added to your Microsoft OneDrive cloud storage account, it helps to have a shortcut to these documents for easier access. Microsoft OneDrive has a shortcut feature that allows you to navigate to the file location without going through the lengthy process of finding it on your computer.
However, some users complain that they are unable to move or can’t sync shortcuts in their Microsoft OneDrive app on Windows 10 PC. Even if it makes things faster with the shortcut, if you cannot utilize it well and encounter errors, it will not be a productive feature for your work or personal use.
The error message for syncing shortcut error on OneDrive reads:
“OneDrive needs your attention. Unable to sync shortcut. We can’t sync your shortcut to “folder-name.” However, you can access the folder under “folder-name.” or
“Sorry, we can’t sync this folder. You’re already syncing a shortcut to a folder from this shared library.”
For moving OneDrive shortcuts issues, this error message pops up:
“Unable to move shortcut. We’re currently unable to move shortcuts and moved the shortcut back to its original location. Name: folder-name”
So, can you fix the shortcut syncing or moving error on Microsoft OneDrive? Let’s check out the solutions below.
Fixing Unable To Move or Can’t Sync Shortcut Issue in Microsoft OneDrive App on PC
There are various possible reasons why you cannot move or sync your shortcuts on the Microsoft OneDrive desktop client. It can be that the issue is with its root directory or there is double syncing on the folder. It can also be a problem with file or folder permissions. You might no longer have access to the file or folder in question hence the error.
You can try each of the troubleshooting methods below and see if it resolves the problem or not.
Method #1 – Restart your Microsoft OneDrive
Exit your Microsoft OneDrive app on your laptop or desktop computer and wait for a few moments. Now, restart it and check if you can move or sync the shortcuts.
Method #2 – Power Cycle your Network Device & Computer
- Power cycling your devices will refresh all connections and processes.
- Turn off your device and unplug your router and modem for at least 1 minute.
- Plug them back in and connect to the Internet.
- Turn on your device and relaunch the Microsoft OneDrive app.
Method #3 – Stop Syncing on your Microsoft OneDrive Folder
- Launch the Settings menu of your OneDrive.
- Go to the Account tab.
- Look for the folder where you can find your shortcuts.
- Select Stop Sync.
Method #4 – Delete Shortcut Using Microsoft OneDrive for Web
- Open any web browser on your computer and go to Microsoft OneDrive website.
- Login to your Microsoft Account.
- Look for the shortcut that will not sync or move and delete it.
- Make sure to remove the deleted shortcut from your Recycle Bin or Trash.
- Now, create a new shortcut and try to move or sync it.
Did any of the solutions above work for you? What else did you do to fix the syncing or moving shortcuts problem with Microsoft OneDrive cloud storage on PC? We would love to know more, so please write to us in the comment section below.STILL HAVING ISSUES? Try this tool to troubleshoot Windows errors and safely optimize system performance